Student
Cyberdog
Message 1 of 1 (1,622 Views)

Photosmart C8180 Scanner not working wireless

HP Scanner

Hewlett-Packard Printers and Scanners

Macintosh OS X  Macos  Mac  Apple

Wireless issue with HP scan won't scan

If the printer is working wirelessly but the scanner just spins around saying, "Trying to start scanner session" follow these instructions that worked for me when all else failed:

Make sure the computer is updated to latest version of your operating system.

Uninstall the HP software that came with the printer on CD, it just gets in the way.

Delete the System Preferences Printer from the list and reinstall it.

Restart Computer.

You’re going to start fresh.  

To uninstall, go to Applications, find HP software, find HP Uninstaller and follow instructions for deleting it.  Once wizard says that uninstall was successful, drag the entire HP Application software folder to your trash.  I am assuming you have that software on a CD that came with this amazing printer (I love this printer/scanner, but something is troublesome with the wireless scan feature).  HP also has these drivers and manuals online (they are the best with archiving old stuff).  

Close the Application finder window and open System Preferences (under the Apple menu).

Click (once) the Print & Fax button, you will see a list of all printer drivers loaded to your computer.  You will delete (I recommend all of them)  the Photosmart C8100 series BBF210 printer currently loaded even though it worked for printing wirelessly.  

Select the printer name and click the minus (-) button near the bottom of the list box.

Make sure that the Default printer is set to "last printer used"

Add the printer driver anew by clicking the plus (+) button at the bottom of the list.  Have your machine, the HP Photosmart C8180 printer/scanner ON and have your wireless Airport on the same WIFI network (your home/office internet connection).

A pop up window will show a list of all wireless printers on your network.  Select the HP Photosmart C8180, wait a moment while the "Name" and  "Print Using" fields automatically fill-in.  

Click the button at bottom right called ADD (no need to enter a location).

Mac OS does its magic with the HP drivers found in OS X updates.

Once you do this, RESTART the computer and try that scanner again.

This is the only thing that worked for me!

To use the scanner with these settings, you will go through your System Preferences.  Open them after your restart, go to Print & Fax and then select the printer you want.  Click the button tab for Scan (default is Printer), click button called Scanner and it will now begin warming up the scanner without much of a wait.  If you get this far, notice the button called Show Details, this lets you select what folder to send the pictures you scan and other features like color correction, file size, resolution etc.  AMAZING!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation