11-08-2009 08:21 AM
Talk about feeling frustrated to the max!
We use an HP Scanjet 7450C with a fifty page document feeder and Paperport to archive documents associated with our business. I just upgraded from XP to W7 Pro 64 bit. Now PrecisionScan Pro states "Sorry, scanner could not be initialized. (Scanner not found.)". It appears to me to be a compatibility problem with PrecisionScan and the 64 bit W7 because the Device Manager shows the scanner properly installed.
I spoke to HP tech support on two occassions and both times the unacceptable response was to buy a new printer. This is especially infuriating because last year we had to replace a perfectly good HP fax/scanner/printer and an HP high quality color printer when we purchased a new Vista machine. Sorry for ranting but my small real estate office simply cannot now afford to trash a perfectly good $600+ scanner.
I tried to install Vista 64 bit drivers but receive the message that they were not installed because the existing driver is a better driver.
I installed virtual XP but still receive the same error message even though the vitual XP Device Manager shows the scanner properly installed.
Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.
11-09-2009 03:19 PM
Here's a post by dylan65 Scanjet 4300
I'm using the scanjet 4300c successfully in windows 7 64bit.
Download "windows xp mode" from ms. XP mode only works with professional and ultimate versions not home premium. This emulates windows xp 32bit in windows 7. The download is about 500mb and you'll need about 1gb free hdd space (link).
Hope this helps
Here's a post by dcplye on the OfficeJet L7680
I am neither an HP employee nor a Windows 7 expert. However, I am known among friends for my computer skills. Just keep in mind that if the workaround I give you does not work and your computer explodes or is otherwise messed up through no fault of mine, you cannot sue me for doing this.
The workaround I used in the interim is I installed the OfficeJet Pro L7600 Series drivers for Windows Vista on Windows 7.
1. Download that driver. Do NOT use the original driver that is in Windows 7 if you are going to do this. In some cases I have seen its settings interfere with the installation of the Vista drivers and you may get an annoying popup that will inform you of the driver's failure to install on nearly every reboot and logon.
2. Right click the executable, click Properties, and click the Compatibility tab.
3. Choose Windows Vista Service Pack 2
4. Click the checkbox for Run this program as an Administrator.
5. Click Apply and Click OK.
6. Run the installer. You should be able to install the software. Install the whole suite that is available for such a Vista installation. If this does not work, you will need to locate the files that were extracted, copy the files to another location, and run the installer from within that folder, ensuring that you use the same compatibility settings above on the installer executable.
7. Restart the computer as you should after the installation.
07-08-2011 12:37 PM
Download Vuescan. Once loaded open the program, and then open HP Precision Scan. HP Precision Scan will work just fine. Vuescan must have instructions in its program that HP Precision Scan is missing.
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- HP All-in-One and Fax Product Family - Interpreting Error Codes in Fax Communication Error or Fax History Reports
- HP Fax Products - Testing Your HP Fax Machine with the HP Fax Test Service
- HP All-in-One Products - A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax
- An 'An error occurred while communicating with scanning device' or a 'There is no computer connection' Message Displays When Scanning for HP Printers