Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 4500 e-All-in-One Series
Windows 8.1

I have only had this wireless printer for 6 months and it has worked fine until lately. Just in the last few days, it will not copy. I press OK on copy, then press OK on start black (or color) copy and the printer does nothing. It will also not scan, using the same steps for scan. It puts up a message that computer is not responding and I need to check my USB cables. This is a wireless printer, there are no USB cables. However, it will still print anything in my laptop computer simply by clicking print on whatever I choose to print. It is connecting to my laptop computer and is listed as the only printer for my laptop. I do not have a desk top computer. I bought and set up this laptop and this printer at the same time last July and have had no problems with either one until now. I need to know what to do to get my printer to simply make copies and scan again as it did before. Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @texcyn-angel,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're experiencing copy and scan hardware issues with your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Now, if your printer is failing to copy and there is no response at all from your HP Envy when you attempt to run the copy, this generally indicates a hardware failure with the scanning/copying assembly built into your printer. Two things generally cause this failure: a power issue, or a programming issue. I am going to run you through some steps below to resolve this issue with you.

Step 1: Check Power:

Lack of power can cause your HP Printer not to respond properly. Please ensure that your printer is not currently plugged into a power strip or surge protector as these can cause your printer not to get sufficient power and result in performance issues. Once your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet for power please test the copy function again. Should copying still fail, please proceed to the next step. 

Step 2: Power Reset:

1. Power your printer ON
  2. With the printer ON disconnect the power cable from the rear of your printer
  3. Leave the power cable disconnected for 60 seconds
  4. Plug the power cable back in
  5. Your printer should power back up on its own

Once the printer returns to the ready state, please test the copy function again. If still a no go, please continue to the next step.

Step 3: Update Firmware:

As I previously mentioned, an issue with your printers programming can cause your printer not to respond properly. To verify that you're HP Printer is using the latest Firmware programming Version, please click HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads. Once the website opens select the Download button on the top left. Allow the download to Run. Once the download is complete please follow any onscreen instructions to complete the Firmware Update.

Once the Firmware Update has completed successfully please try to copy again. If the issue still persists, than there are few things I would like you to check on your actual scanning assembly to verify if your copying hardware is functioning properly. 

Step 4: Check Hardware:

1. Power the printer ON
  2. Open the flatbed cover
  3. Hit the Copy button on your printer.

• Does the scanner bar move when you hit the copy button?
  • Does the scanner bulb light up?

Source: A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Co...

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your issue. Should you still be experiencing issues scanning and copying there is one additional programming reset that I can have you run through on your printer. I look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey @texcyn-angel,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're experiencing copy and scan hardware issues with your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Now, if your printer is failing to copy and there is no response at all from your HP Envy when you attempt to run the copy, this generally indicates a hardware failure with the scanning/copying assembly built into your printer. Two things generally cause this failure: a power issue, or a programming issue. I am going to run you through some steps below to resolve this issue with you.

Step 1: Check Power:

Lack of power can cause your HP Printer not to respond properly. Please ensure that your printer is not currently plugged into a power strip or surge protector as these can cause your printer not to get sufficient power and result in performance issues. Once your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet for power please test the copy function again. Should copying still fail, please proceed to the next step. 

Step 2: Power Reset:

1. Power your printer ON
  2. With the printer ON disconnect the power cable from the rear of your printer
  3. Leave the power cable disconnected for 60 seconds
  4. Plug the power cable back in
  5. Your printer should power back up on its own

Once the printer returns to the ready state, please test the copy function again. If still a no go, please continue to the next step.

Step 3: Update Firmware:

As I previously mentioned, an issue with your printers programming can cause your printer not to respond properly. To verify that you're HP Printer is using the latest Firmware programming Version, please click HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads. Once the website opens select the Download button on the top left. Allow the download to Run. Once the download is complete please follow any onscreen instructions to complete the Firmware Update.

Once the Firmware Update has completed successfully please try to copy again. If the issue still persists, than there are few things I would like you to check on your actual scanning assembly to verify if your copying hardware is functioning properly. 

Step 4: Check Hardware:

1. Power the printer ON
  2. Open the flatbed cover
  3. Hit the Copy button on your printer.

• Does the scanner bar move when you hit the copy button?
  • Does the scanner bulb light up?

Source: A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Co...

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your issue. Should you still be experiencing issues scanning and copying there is one additional programming reset that I can have you run through on your printer. I look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I did everything suggested and nothing helped. I still cannot copy or scan. The scanning light does not even run when trying to copy or scan.

HP Recommended

X-23

I have the same problem with my Photosmart 6520.And when I hit the copy button, the scanner bar does not move and no scanner bulb lights up

As I understand it is a hardware problem, am I right? How can I fix this problem?

thankyou and Happy 2015! 

HP Recommended

Hello @texcyn-angel,

I'm sorry to hear that the steps provided failed to resolve your scan and copy issue. Because you're not even seeing a scanner light on your machine than we know at this time that this is definitely a hardware issue. I am going to send you a Private Message with the instructions on how to perform a Semi-Full Programming Reset on your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer. Please post the result of the reset in this thread and not in the Private Message.

Good luck! 🙂

Now, @FlavioG,

I would like to welcome your to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are also experiencing a copy/scanner failure on your HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer. Thank you for including in your post that you followed the prior troubleshooting steps in my post above and that the scanner bar is not moving and there is no bulb that is lighting up.

At this time, I am going to also send you a Private Message with the instructions on how to perform a Semi-Full Programming Reset on your HP Photosmart. Please refer to your Private Messages for further instruction. Also, please post the result of this reset in this thread and not in our Private Message.

I look forward to hearing from you! Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have done the steps you sent to me in a private message on Jan. 6.  My printer has been stuck on "Now printing alignment page..." since then. I cannot cancel it out of this by any means I have tried. Every time I turn my printer on now, it goes to this on the printer screen. I have tried pulling up the printer on my laptop and still am not able to cancel this out. So, now I cannot do anything on my printer, when before the only problem was copying and scanning. My laptop is also now telling me that my printer is offline. I am completely confused now and seem to have more problems than I previously had. What should I do now??

HP Recommended

Hello @texcyn-angel,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry to hear that the programming reset ended up making your issue worse on your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer. To be honest, because your printer is now in an 'aligning' error state I do believe that the programming issue that was affecting your copy and scan assembly was inevitably going to cause further hardware issues and it was just a matter of time before your printer got 'stuck' in this error loop. Because your printer is now in this error loop the computer will not be able to communicate with your printer properly and this results in an 'offline' error state.

Unfortunately, at this point we have exhausted all of the troubleshooting steps available for your printer. I would suggest that you contact our Technical Support queue to explore additional support options. Please let the Technical Support agent know exactly what we did for troubleshooting and the results of the steps that we completed.

HP Technical Support can be reached at: 800-474-6836.

If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

HP Worldwide Contact

It has been a pleasure working with you. I with you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I TRIED WHAT YOU SAID AND IT DID NOT WORK

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.