Question

Honor Student
joeloesch
Message 1 of 8 (11,752 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer will not print photos on 4x6 photo paper, even when I tell the print menu to use 4x6.

I have chosen the 4x6 photo paper choice in the print menu. This is the advice that HP posted in answer to another request for help, and the obvious, logical solution. But the printer driver (?) disregards this, and simply prints everything in 4x6 SIZE, on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.

I am working with Windows 7. TWO of your printers are refusing to print on the paper: An HP Photosmart 6515, and a 6510.

Please advise, or I have to return these defective printers to the store I bought them from.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 8 (11,704 Views)

Re: Printer will not print photos on 4x6 photo paper, even when I tell the print menu to use 4x6.

This may offer some help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02997975&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5058336&tmp...

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Top Student
GR8fulHman
Message 3 of 8 (11,635 Views)

Re: Printer will not print photos on 4x6 photo paper, even when I tell the print menu to use 4x6.

First off, I have to say the HP people that have answered this and several similar questions have pointed everyone in the wrong direction.  Most often, they direct you to a link that tells you to go through all these ridiculous steps of taking out your paper and re-inserting it, reseting the printer, etc. all to no avail. 

This problem stems from the HP driver not correctly installing on Windows (I have windows 7).  After going though all the pointless steps, I decided to go look at the device drivers settings and sure enough, the only installed paper/tray setting was for tray 1 with letter paper.  Once I added a paper option for tray 2 (the photo tray), it worked just fine.

So to spell it out in finer detail:

Go to Start>Devices and Printers (again this is windows 7.  If you have a different OS, get to the printer properties)

Right click on the printer and select "Printer properties"

Click on the "Device Settings" tab and add the photo tray and 4x6 paper size.

Click the ""apply" button at the bottom.

That's it!  You should be ready to print your photo from the photo tray!

Hope this helps others who may have the same problem (or at least save them from going through a bunch of steps that don't work)

Student
tjones302
Message 4 of 8 (11,082 Views)

Thank you for the explanation. I was having the exact same problem with my 6515 and this fixed it!!

Student
thowerton
Message 5 of 8 (9,464 Views)

Thank you soooooo much I have been trying to fix this ever since I hooked up my printer.

Obviously this is the first time I have had a chance to "google it"

Thank again, it was exactly the problem you had a fix for :smileyhappy:

Student
quiltsq
Message 6 of 8 (9,431 Views)

Just for copy purposes, how do I print on photo paper?

Student
mazy
Message 7 of 8 (7,812 Views)

The advice to apply an additional tray to the print driver worked.

For an HP 7520 use the 4X6(tab)

Student
kaulike
Message 8 of 8 (5,180 Views)

In attempting to print a 4 x 6 photo I went through the steps outlined below. If there is paper in tray 1 the printer will use, if there is no paper in tray 1 I get the no paper error message. After several attempts to print a photo I found this forum and read through some of the posts. Your seems to be the closest to addressing my issue. I followed your instructions to be sure I didnt miss a step. Same result. Tray 2 is added, selected, has 4 x 6 photo paper loaded, the printer does not seem to recognize. Apprciate any assistance you can offer.

Kaulike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation