Question

Student
janyce
Message 1 of 16 (6,352 Views)

Printer won't scan

HP Photosmart 5514 won't "scan to computer".  How do I set that up?

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 16 (6,323 Views)

Re: Printer won't scan

Hello janyce

What operating system are you using? Are you trying to initiate the scan from your computer or your printer? Have you already installed the Full Feature Software for the printer?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Student
dkeoskie
Message 3 of 16 (6,196 Views)

My printer won't scan either and no you were no help.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 16 (6,186 Views)

Hello dkeoskie

I need additional information to help troubleshoot the problem. Please answer the following questions:

• What printer do you have?
  • What operating system are you using?
  • Do you receive any errors?
  • Are you scanning from the Printer software or from the printer itself?
  • How is your computer and printer connected?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 5 of 16 (6,181 Views)

dkeoskie wrote:

My printer won't scan either and no you were no help.

With an attitude like that, you will get no help.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Student
RG7280
Message 6 of 16 (5,887 Views)

I have updated my Mac op software to Mountain Lion and ran the check for updates function and completed all updates, I have tried un plugging the power to my HP C7280 and waiting and replugging in and doing same with computer but still cannot scan. I can print from my computer but the scanner still will not initialize.  Have been fooling around with this for hours and no luck. ANy ideas?

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 7 of 16 (5,846 Views)

Hello RG7280

"If your HP printer was previously set up and working with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or OS X 10.7 Lion, your printer is still supported when you update your Mac to the Mountain Lion operating system. HP recommends that you run Apple Software Update to make sure that you have the latest HP software installed."

SOURCE: OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac with Mountain Lion

So you have done the correct steps. If you are getting the error "The scanning device could not be initialized" follow the article below for several solutions.

'The scanning device could not be initialized' and Related Scanning Error Messages Display in Window...

Student
disgruntleduser
Message 8 of 16 (5,793 Views)

Love my 5514 HP printer. But it won't scan. Using Vista, wireless. I can PRINT to my heart's content.

But if I try to scan to computer I get an error message on the printer screen "scan unsuccessful, please make sure computer is connected to printer and try again" and  on computer screen "scanner unreachable" and suggests unblocking with the firewall. Did that. It says to check the IP address. Did that, and like I said, it PRINTS wireless all the time. Just won't scan

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 9 of 16 (5,771 Views)

Reload the full feature software and drivers again. Now try.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
hickchick_2012
Message 10 of 16 (5,760 Views)

I am having the same problem and I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times already. I tried wireless and usb connections and keep getting the same errors...not connected to my computer. My computer name is on the printer..and I too can print...just not scan...and this function is crucial for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation