Printing Fax Confirmation from an Officejet 4500 (13358 Views)
Top Student
angiebabe
Message 1 of 14 (13,358 Views)

Printing Fax Confirmation from an Officejet 4500

The online User Guide for this wonderful little All-in-One SPECIFICALLY says:

If you require printed confirmation that your faxes were successfully sent, follow these instructions to enable fax confirmation before sending any faxes.

The default fax confirmation setting is Off. This means that a confirmation report is not printed for each fax sent or received. A confirmation message indicating whether a fax was successfully sent appears briefly on the control-panel display after each transaction.

NOTE: You can include an image of the first page of the fax on the Fax Sent Confirmation report if you choose On Fax Send or Send & Receive, and if you scan the fax to send from memory

To enable fax confirmation
1. Press the (Setup) button.
2. Press right arrow to select Print Report, and then press OK.
3. Press right arrow to select Fax Confirmation, and then press OK.
4. Press right arrow to select one of the following, and then press OK.

Off  Does not print a fax confirmation report when you send and receive faxes successfully. This is the default setting.

On Fax Send Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you send.
On Fax Receive Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you receive.
Send & Receive Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you send and receive

This all appears on Page 56.

However, when I followed these instructions and selected On Fax Send, and pressed OK, each time the display on the printer reverted to "Fax Confirmation" and never did I receive or see anything that indicated that setting had been changed.

I spent a solid 45 minutes "chatting" with HP Support and I have to tell you the tech didn't even know what I was talking about.  She absolutely refused to answer the question of "if it's in the manual HP produces, how can you continue to tell me this printer DOES NOT print such a report.  She had the nerve at some point to have me send her a fax and then she attempted to fax me back saying that was the manner in which a "confirmation" was sent!  When I asked her what I would get back if I sent the fax to someone other than HP, she was completely lost.

Affer 45 minutes of this nonsense I told her I wanted this escalated to the next level of support.  I then received a message from someone else saying, "I am the supervisor".  He confirmed that Yes, this printer certainly does print a fax confirmation page.  He supposedly researched my problem, told me to hold down the # key and the 3 key (forgot to say simultaneously until I asked).   When I told him nothing happened and what was this supposed to do, he said that would reset all settings on the printer, and then we would make the change so that I could get a PRINTED confirmation with each fax sent, which the manual says we can do.  THAT NEVER HAPPENED and I was online with the supervisor for another hour.

I tried again today; doesn't work!  The supervisor said he would escalate to the next level (and the highest level) of Support because they certainly don't want to put something in the manual that doesn't work.  However, I haven't heard from them.  It would seem to me they should have thought about that when they produced this thing!  They claim this is the same instruction as for the J4680, so if anyone has either of these two printers and has solved this problem, I sure would like to know about it because the people who manufactured the printer and wrote the manual (HP) sure don't know.

Thanks.

Student
mountkiscorecre
Message 2 of 14 (11,399 Views)

Re: Printing Fax Confirmation from an Officejet 4500

Did you ever have your problem fixed? I have spent now 3 hours trying to fix this problem.

Top Student
angiebabe
Message 3 of 14 (11,390 Views)

I gave up!  I took the printer to my office where we needed a spare printer that we could use for non-volume printing, occasional copy work and for color scanning.  It's OK for that.

I gave up on HP totally!  They started going downhill when they got rid of Carly Fiorella for no good reason - the idiots on the board were so jealous of her success, they got rid of her regardless of the fact that they made more money than ever when she was around!  So now they just make lousy cheap machines and charge through the nose for ink cartridges!

I went out and purchased an Epson; hadn't had one in years - and I'm really happy with it; actually does everything their literature says it will do!

Honor Student
mlmw
Message 4 of 14 (11,198 Views)

I followed the directions above and it worked for me no problem. I sent two different faxes and did not have to reset the confirmation request twice. I LOVE MY HP 4500!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if you buy the 901XL in the green box you get 3.5 x as many faxes (up to - I think it is only around 2.5 x with the lowest settings for b/w) for around 36 bucks (Canadian). I am also really glad when you scan pdf docs the 4500 converts the text to ocr PERFECTLY.

Student
GaryGlen
Message 5 of 14 (10,979 Views)

Glad to here this. I just bought and sent my first fax with my 4500 and got no confirmation notice.  Found these instructions and set it up as listed. went back in and it looks liek it saved it fine. 

I was worried because I'm also using a Magic Jack and have heard there are problems with it and faxing. 

Keeping fingers crossed. Will know for sure Sunday when I have to send my weekly paper work.

Honor Student
impactito
Message 6 of 14 (6,139 Views)

what happen then did you manage to fax?
Student
jlg4500
Message 7 of 14 (6,058 Views)

I am having problems with my 4500 printer.   I am not using the WIFI connection, I am using the network connection.  I can not fully pring the 1st page of any multiple page document.  If I leave the 1st page blank and start on page 2 the document prints out just file.   I would like to know why the 1st page will not totally print.  It will print about 60% of the page then go onto page 2 to print.

Tutor
Dr_Malcolm
Message 8 of 14 (5,769 Views)

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will call the reciients to see if they received the multiple copies of the fax that I "printed". Also it would seem that this option should be available on the "HP Solution Center"  which I ysed to scan in the printed document just in case.

My broker is probably very confuused receiveing all of these copies, if he did.

Tutor
Dr_Malcolm
Message 9 of 14 (5,767 Views)

I found that the fax does show up in my fax log.

There was a hidden fax failure window (in back of othere windows) that was preventing the sending of other queued fax sending.

Then it just stated sending one after another - all showing in the log.

I wonder if I will get multiple withdrewals from my account or if they will just do it once - I will call them.

Tutor
Dr_Malcolm
Message 10 of 14 (5,766 Views)

The "Printed fax" does show up in the fax log. Also, the "printer" will make sounds and show on the display that the fax is being sent.
I had a problem when a failed fax popped up a window that was hidden behind other windows. I "printed the fax" multiple times, all of which were sent after the "failed" widow was acknowledged by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation