Problem scanning to computer from photosmart 5520 all-in-one printer (3476 Views)
Honor Student
miasmeme
Message 1 of 7 (3,476 Views)

Problem scanning to computer from photosmart 5520 all-in-one printer

i have a photosmart 5520 all-in-one and an acer aspire 5515 running windows vista.  I cannot scan to the laptop from the scanner--message is connection error.    I have the software hp printer assistant "scan to computer" set to enable.  When I click scan, the message is "Scanner Unreachable....".   I have the printer setup to run wirelessly.  I can scan from the web.  Can anyone help me with this problem?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 7 (3,468 Views)

Re: Problem scanning to computer from photosmart 5520 all-in-one printer

Hi,

What happens when opening the HP Printer Assistant - can you scan from teh software by clicking Scan a Document or Photo or is there any specific error?

Run the Print and Scan doctor and let me know if it may detect any specific error:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-109037-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Also did you tried disabling any running firewall to ensure it don't block the connection? what security software you use on your PC?

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
miasmeme
Message 3 of 7 (3,454 Views)

HP Printer Assistant: Error message when I click Scan Document or Photo is "Scanner Unreachable...". I get the same message if I try to scan from the printer console. Scan Doctor: The windows (wia) scan fails and the hp twain scan fails. HP scan passes. The test scan option does not work. I have the Windows firewall disabled and Symantic endpoint protection disabled. Thanks for replying.
Provost
ShlomiL
Message 4 of 7 (3,445 Views)

Hi,
Please verify the following OS services are enabled and try scanning again:

1. From the Start menu, open the Run Dialog (Start > Run / pressing both the Windows key of the keyboard and R simultanly).
2. Type services.msc and click OK.
3. Localte the 'Shell Hardware Detection' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically from its properties.
4. Localte the 'Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well
5. Localte the 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well

If the same persists uninstall the software by going to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Photosmart 5520 and follow the Uninstall option.

Next go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall a Program and remove any reminders of the software (e.g. HP Customer Participation, etc.)

Then download and install the latest software below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108807-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
miasmeme
Message 5 of 7 (3,424 Views)

I followed all of the suggested steps with no resolution to the problem.  I decided to connect the printer via the usb port until I can upgrade from Vista.

Thanks for your help.  Perhaps it will help someone else.

Carol

Student
JonV
Message 6 of 7 (1,861 Views)

I have the 5520 and when I am trying to scan a document and send via email, I get the email with no attachment. Does anyone know what can be the problem, I have shut the printer down overnight thinking this would reset - did not work. Need suggestions - Thanks

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 7 of 7 (1,799 Views)

Hi JonV. This issue may resolve itself given time. The workaround is to manually scan to your computer and manually attach the scan to an email. If you need real-time server status, you can contact HP Cloud Services for details.

How to Scan: (Select your operating system for details).
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=33668&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc...

HP Cloud Services 1-855-785-2777
Mon - Fri 8:00 am - 11:00 pm Eastern
Saturdays 10:00 am - 6:30 pm Eastern

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation