Question
Problems scanning with HP printer and Mavericks
Replies (189)

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 21 of 190 (4,938 Views)

Re: Problems scanning with HP printer and Mavericks

For those of you who may rather scanning with Apples Print and Scan Window, follow the steps below.

1. Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the automatic document feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
  2. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences
  3. Click Print & Scan .
  4. Click your printer in the left pane.
  5. Click Scan , and then click Open Scanner .
  6. Click Show Details . The details of the scan display, including options to change scan settings.
    Figure 1: Example of the Show Details scanning screen
    Image: Example of the Show Details scanning screen.
  7. Change any scan settings as necessary, and then click Scan .

OR

Use the following steps to scan from Apple Image Capture.
  1. Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
  2. In the Applications folder or from the Dock, click Image Capture .
  3. Select your printer from the list. If your printer connects to a network, select it from the Shared list. The details of the scan display.
  4. If a ' Software for this device is not installed ' message displays after you select your printer, click Install , and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
  5. Click Show Details to view scan settings and options.

Hope this information is helpful.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 22 of 190 (4,925 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi SunfishSailer,

My apologies, after reading your post again I can see you have a HP Scanjet G3010. The HP Scanjet G3010 Photo Scanner is a commercial product and your questions would be better addressed and get more exposure on the HP Enterprise Business Support Forums. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Because you have just upgraded the OS you may even be able to contact Apple support. Here is a link to the Apple Support Community.

Best of luck.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 23 of 190 (4,919 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Lincurt and Boston_Bill

Please see my post above, the HP Scanjet G4050 scanner/ and 4850  are also commercial products. My area of expertise is with consumer products and software, I suspect the commercial folks will be better suited to assist you.

Best of luck.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
mwmkmwmk
Message 24 of 190 (4,899 Views)

Tried both and, despite your great help, docs all came out in single files and I could not merge them to send them in one fax file.  So the cost of sending via a fax app would be prohibitive.  

I don't think I read an answer yet as to why the scan function worked 2 days ago but not today....  Is there an update in the works to fix?  Thanks again sunshyne.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 25 of 190 (4,887 Views)

Hi mwmkmwmk

You first stated "the image saved to the PDF was larger by a third than the visible page, so almost a third of the text was lost past the right and bottom margins"  and now you say the pages can not be merged, if you have resolved the first issue and only need to merge the pages I can help. When you are saving as PDF, you should see an option below, the format option, to select "save all pages as a single file".

If you have not yet resolved the first issue then we can work on that. Please let me know exactly what the issue is at this point and what method of scanning you have chosen to use.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
NatDD
Message 26 of 190 (4,857 Views)

I have been using a Scanjet8300 for years, working perfectly with HPScan.  With Mavericks the HPScan software seems to work, and I see the image of the scan on the screen.  But when I save it I either get an error message "An error has occurred saving the file because it could not be written to.  Check the properties for the file to make sure it is not read-only."  or it will save but when I open it it is just a series of horizontal lines.

I tried the 3 options (opening in Preview, etc) but in none of them does the scanner show up.

Please help - I use this scanner on a daily basis. 

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 27 of 190 (4,851 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi NatDD,

The HP Scanjet 8300 is a commercial product and your question would be better addressed and would get more exposure on the HP Enterprise Business Support Forums.

Because you have just upgraded the OS you may even be able to contact Apple support. Here is a link to the Apple Support Community.

My area of expertise is with consumer products and software, I suspect the commercial folks will be better suited to assist you.

Best of luck.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
mwmkmwmk
Message 28 of 190 (4,846 Views)

Thanks for responding.  The first issue is not solved.  It occurred when I tried scanning directly with the scanning function in the taskbar.  The second issue occurred when I followed the scan from Preview workaround, using the Contact Sheet approach.  Following the directions, I tried merging all 19 pages onto one contact sheet, but could not get them to merge.

My last question in the previous post is still on the table--is this a by-product of the Mavericks update, and is there an HP  (or Apple) update coming to solve it?

I admire your patience!

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 29 of 190 (4,816 Views)

Hi mwmkmwmk

I appreciate your patience. This may sound silly but have you done an Apple update (I'm sure you have) ?  Which version of the Mac OS X did you have prior to upgrading?

You asked "Is this a by-product of the Mavericks update, and is there an HP  (or Apple) update coming to solve it?"

Truthfully, I can not answer that. I personally suspect the update to Maverick is what impacted the scanning but I can not confirm that. As for what HP or Apple will release as for updates, I can not speak for HP only for myself. I do know from experience that HP and Apple generally do their best to keep everything working smoothly. Based on this thread alone it seems to me that there is a hiccup with the compatibility between the scan driver and the software. Speaking of which, here's a thought......

What if (again this is just a thought) we change the driver you are using form the HP driver to the airprint driver and try scanning again to see if it makes any difference.

Note: I have not yet had hands on with Maverick, I am basing my suggestions off of experience with 10.8/previous operating systems and research I have done on Mavericks.

You said "I am not that computer savvy" Well I am here to tell you that I think between the 2 of use we can figure this out and at least find a work around to accomplish your task at hand.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
mwmkmwmk
Message 30 of 190 (4,809 Views)

OK, I was able to scan to Airprint, but where does it go after it is scanned?  (I did not get a "Save" prompt or Command at the end of the scan function...).  Is there a scanned documents folder in Airprint?  Thx.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation