Question
Problems scanning with HP printer and Mavericks
Replies (189)

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 41 of 190 (23,086 Views)

Re: Problems scanning with HP printer and Mavericks

Maybe this would help some of you folks that have joined this thread.

OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac.

How to Scan: OS X v10.9

An 'Unsupported Operating System' or 'Software not compatible' Message Displays on a Mac Running OS ...

If you experience an issue saving a scan with HP Scan my suggestion is to use of of the 3 Apple scanning methods.

Apple Preview

Print and Scan Window and Image Capture

A suggestion I had made to another customer was to use the Airprint driver rather then the HP driver and it seems to have helped that individual, you may want to try it.

Some people have asked and are wondering why hasn't HP released an updated software and driver package for Mavericks and why is this issue occuring?

I quote my previous statement :  Truthfully, I can not answer that. I personally suspect the update to Maverick is what impacted the scanning but I can not confirm that. As for what  HP or Apple will release as for updates, I can not speak for HP only for myself. I do know from experience that HP and Apple generally do their best to keep everything working smoothly. Based on this thread alone it seems to me that there is a hiccup with the compatibility between the scan driver and the software.

Hope this helps everybody out there who is experiencing this issue.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
PDBrusendorff
Message 42 of 190 (22,889 Views)

Hello there

I have exactly the same problem as you see. I have had my OfficeJet Pro 8600 PLus running on Mountain Lion for some months now without any problems. Now after installing OS X Mavericks yesterday I notice thta the scan works fine, but saving a scanned page makes exactly the same problem as you see on your computer. Therefore I conclude this as a mismatch between the HP driver and the operating system.
I hope HP will release a new driver soon. I use my scanner for daily work :-(  

Top Student
cameo2011
Message 43 of 190 (22,750 Views)

FYI: Attempted to use Apple Image Capture and Print and Scan Window. In both instances after selecting the correct printer,  clicking the "Scan" button followed by the "Open Scanner..." button and the "Waiting for scanner..." message, an error message appeared "Failed to oepn a session on the device."

Using the "Preview" app and following the instructions, the same "Failed to open a session on a device" was displayed.

This is very troublesome and annoying because we are full time RVers and rely heavily on scanning legal documents that we share with our bank and insurance agents via email. If we cannot scan and share documents uisng the HP, we must find other more expensive soolutions like stopping at a third party store.

I understand that supporting legacy printers over time is an issue but our printer isn't that old. As a long time Apple user, I would argue that HP and Apple have not always had a cordial relationship. No doubt the newest and latest HP printers are compatibale with Mavericks but it is inexcusable that HP cannot keep current with not so very old printers given all the opportunties Apple has provided for developers to stay current.

Top Student
carmelvalley
Message 44 of 190 (22,489 Views)

I tried opening the scanner from system prefs, but while it scans, it seems to have trouble saving, and what it does save is only part of what it scanned. Thoughts?

Top Student
carmelvalley
Message 45 of 190 (22,489 Views)

Same thing with my 5180

Tutor
mwmkmwmk
Message 46 of 190 (22,486 Views)

Same thing with OJ 8600 Plus....
Honor Student
Poyzen69
Message 47 of 190 (22,422 Views)

I solved the problem scanning with Preview.

Hope HP will release the drivers as soon as possibile.

Thanks everyone!

Tutor
mwmkmwmk
Message 48 of 190 (22,316 Views)

Preview did not work for me....

Honor Student
PDBrusendorff
Message 49 of 190 (22,307 Views)

Hello guys 

Thank you all for the help and advices.

Since yesterday I have tried the many suggestions and ideas and actually with my Officejet 8600 Pro Plus I can work with Preview (In the Danish OS X version called Billedfremviser).

The Print & Scan also works; however like Preview the scanning quality is not as good as the original HP software, maybe something with interpolating.

The best result I have now is actually when using my installed App called "PDFPen". I had the App already before the problems started with Mavericks/HP - and looking into the PDFPen menu I saw there was a menu point called "Import from Scanner". This program provides very nice and high quality scans - and I can recommend you to buy PDFPen which is useful in many other relations as well. I consider to uninstall HP for future as I have had many problems with the HP software - also on my i7 PC.

Best regards
Peter  

Top Student
SunfishSailer
Message 50 of 190 (22,302 Views)

Seems like we have established the following.... 1) Most hp scanners aren't working with mavericks 2) printer/scanners ARE recognized by "scanners & printer", therefor you can use other software to scan. 3) stand alone scanners are NOT recognized and don't show up as connected, therefore can not use other methods.

So her are the basic questions... 1) will hp release a patch? 2) when? 3) is it possible to install a STANDALONE scanner so that " printers & Scanners" sees it so we can use other software? 4) how do you do that?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation