Question

Tutor
RonnyKing
Message 1 of 8 (584 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problems when scanning double sided from Officejet 8600 Pro Plus printer

Hello everyone

I recently purchased a HP Officejet 8600 Pro Plus printer (CM750A n911g)

I’m facing difficulties when scanning multiple double sided originals through ADF.

One page works fine but with multiple pages it only works in about 10% of the cases.

This is what happens.

In normal situations page first side of page is scanned, page is flipped, second side is scanned, flips page again and ejects page.

But it sometimes happens that when first page is fed into the ADF and first side is scanned, the second page is already starting to slide into the ADF because the upper feed rollers keep turning at that point in time.

At the moment that first page tries to flip, the machine “sees” the second page and therefore decides to eject the first page without scanning the second side. It directly starts to scan the first side of the second page.(image is flipped 180% because machine ‘thinks’ it’s the second side of the first page)

This goes on (not always, sometimes some pages are treated as they should) until the last page.

Last page is always okay since there is no next page anymore to disturb the process.

Does anyone know what to do to avoid this behavior? Paper used is normal paper 80g.

I have installed the most recent firmware version in this machine (CLP1CN1304AR)

I start to think this could be a software bug and that the upper feed rollers keep turning too long.

Tried different settings and this happens when starting a scan from computer but also when starting a scan from printer touchscreen.

Thanks for any reply

Kind regards

Ronny

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 8 (566 Views)

Re: Problems when scanning double sided from Officejet 8600 Pro Plus printer

Hi Ronny,

Do you have the latest software from the web installed on your PC?

If you used the original CD uninstall it by selecting Uninstall under Start > Programs > HP > HP Officejet Pro 8600, then download and isntall the latest software below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-108858-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Now try scanning and check for any change.

If the same persists, try scanning via the Web interfae (EWS) to better understand if the issue relies with the software or the firmware itself.

Type the printer IP into your web browser and select the Scan tab.

If the feature is disabled go to Settings > Administrator Settings and enable the Webscan feature...

Can you see the same problem within the web interface as well?

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
RonnyKing
Message 3 of 8 (562 Views)

Hello

Thank you for the reply

I installed the latest software from the website (never used the cd by the way)

I tried webscan, Printer shows exact same behavior, only last page is correctly scanned double sided.

Any other tips?

Thanks again

Ronny

Tutor
RonnyKing
Message 4 of 8 (544 Views)

Anyone who has the same device and would be willing to try and scan A4 docs double sided ?

In the mean time I have been trying to contact local HP support but I get the feeling they are trying to hide from their customers.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 5 of 8 (527 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ronny,

Please install the latest firmware version below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-102210-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I believe that should fix the problem you are facing:

Fixes:
Improve ADF Duplex job workflow – Maximum support length for ADF duplex is A4, added a check for paper length on ADF duplex. (as it might cause media damage if customer use length longer than A4)

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
RonnyKing
Message 6 of 8 (525 Views)

Hello Shlomi

Thank you for your reply.

I already installed the firmware version you are referring to in my printer the same day I bought it.

So unfortunately the problem I'm facing, occurs when using the most recent firmware version in this printer.

In the mean time, I have been in touch with HP local support. They also checked firmware version and they let me perform a total reset of the machine... to no avail.

Then they offered to exchange my printer with a new one... very customer friendly off course but I'm not convinced that my printer is actually broken.

On the other hand I couldn't found any post by other users  that describes the exact same problem...

so I'll wait and see how the new machine reacts. It will arrive next Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted.

In the mean time, any reply remains welcome.

Thanks again

Ronny

Tutor
RonnyKing
Message 7 of 8 (506 Views)

Hello again

Today I received my replacement printer.

After having installed it, I tested doublesided scanning for about 40 pages and this device treated all pages in the same way and performed an errorless scan :smileyhappy:

I noticed a difference in firmware versions between these two devices (replacement device = CLP1CN1232AR , original device = CLP1CN1304AR)

I don't know if the cause of my problem lies in a hardware or sensor problem of the feeder or if it's related to the different firmware version.

I'm reluctant to perform this firmware upgrade thinking: "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"

Yet I'd like to read your suggestions, upgrade or not?

Thanks

Ronny

Tutor
RonnyKing
Message 8 of 8 (482 Views)

This one is finished.

For those who might be interested, it was machine-related.

Machine updated itself to last firmware version and still works fine

Bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation