Question

Top Student
ndsebethesda
Message 1 of 28 (4,763 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problems with fax software on 1536dnf

Hi, I just got a 1536dnf all-in-one, and I'm having problem sending faxes with the software. I can fax from the machine directly just fine, but when I try to send a fax from my computer, I can't even enter the software. I get an "Internal Error" that there is no compatible device detected. I have it set up on my network, so about four different computers can access it. I'm running Windows XP SP3, and every other function works fine (I can print to the printer from every computer, send and receive faxes from the printer itself, etc).  Any ideas why this is happening? I have found zero documentation or help about this, and any help would be appreciated.

Professor
RobertoR
Message 2 of 28 (4,755 Views)

Re: Problems with fax software on 1536dnf

Hello ndsebethesda,

Hope you are doing well and welcome to HP forums;

You can run this utility to see if there an issue GO HERE  and select the scan and print doctor I will create a restore point but i do that each and everytime I make changes to my system☺.

Let meknoe the outcome I will do my best to help you.

Hope this helps!

RobertoR.

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Top Student
ndsebethesda
Message 3 of 28 (4,743 Views)

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately my problem persists. The Scan & Print Doctor only helps with scanning and printing, and no fax options were present.

I notice that I have 2 entries for this printer after installation: one for the printer proper, and another for the fax. The Scan & Print Doctor only detected the printer driver.

If I start the HP Fax Setup Wizard, I get this error message:

"The device is disconnected or powered off."

(The printer is powered on, and I just printed a test page.)

If I start the HP Send Fax utility, I get this error message:

"An Internal Error has occurred

No compatible devices are installed on this system."

This is all from a printer that I installed just a couple of days ago, and I installed all software and drivers that came with it. Am I missing something? Could this be an issue with the fax port? To be clear: this issue is persistent among all four computers that are connected to this printer.

I find it troublesome that this feature does not work out of the box. As it stands now, I have to print my faxes on paper, then send them physically through the machine. This totally negates the biggest reason we purchased this machine: to be able to send paperless faxes from any computer in the office. I really hope I can get this resolved, or we'll have to return the printer and get one that actually works...

Top Student
ndsebethesda
Message 4 of 28 (4,712 Views)

Can anyone help with this issue? It kind of seems like a big deal, for computer to fax functionality to be non-working right out of the box. Has no-one else had this problem?

Professor
RobertoR
Message 5 of 28 (4,707 Views)

Hi there again;

I am doing some research to see if I can provide more suggestions, in the mean time I will reach out to other forums participants to see if they  have some experience with your issue, to see if they have seem the issue or better yet know a solution. I will come back as soon as I have something to add that is useful.   

Regards;

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 28 (4,695 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi ndsebethesda,

Uninstall the printer, and then reinstall it using the software at the link below. Let me know what happens?

hp_M1530_MFP_full_Solution_usb_n_w.exe [1/1, 210.73M]

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
ndsebethesda
Message 7 of 28 (4,641 Views)

Hi there - sorry for the late reply, but work's been busy.

I uninstalled my previous printer drivers, and downloaded and installed new drivers from the link you provided. Same problem - no faxing possible, HP Fax Setup yields "device is powered off or disconnected" error message.

Suffice to say, this printer's faxing performance has left me disappointed. What's even more baffling, however, is the complete lack of documentation or support regarding this matter - there is nothing in the help or knowledge base that even begins to address the problem that I'm having. Every piece of literature simply assumes that the fax from computer option works. I think it's probably time to return the printer and get another brand that actually does what this one purports to do.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 8 of 28 (4,638 Views)

Hi ndsebethesda,

It appears that you are having a hardware issue on this printer. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
AndyinOregon
Message 9 of 28 (4,266 Views)

I just posted (10.5.12) similar question.  I think we might have same unanswered question.  I have 2 personal computers.  One has a little 'Zoom' modem that connects the telephone line to the PC.  It works GREAT.  It cost $50.

What I (and maybe the other person) am trying to do is use the HP1536 dnf as a fax modem.  In other words, make it function just like that $50 device.

Most likely, I will just GIVE UP on usng the HP1536 DNF for that purpose.  It is still a GREAT printer but it just seems terribly complex to pull out of the box, hook to a PC and function as a fax modem.

I have no problem faxing paper with the 1536dnf.  It is only when I try to fax from the windows 7 PC.  I tried all the software updates, etc.  To be honest:  I think I am better off with the $50 modem... I will just buy another... still it sorta has me Miffed.  Thanks from Andy

Provost
pcwizard
Message 10 of 28 (4,240 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi AndyinOregon,

What application program are you using to send the fax?

Are you selecting the fax printer in Devices and Printers?

Have you tried using the HP Send Fax program under All Programs - HP\HP LaserJet Professional M1530 MFP Series?

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation