Question

Honor Student
haireone
Message 1 of 13 (3,256 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series - Scan Default Settings

Is there a way to set scan defaults in the printer itself?  It gets very “old” having to change every scan from Color to Black & White!

My understanding, when I purchased this “All-In-One” unit was that it was a good choice for a home office. (The fact that it was “wireless” strongly influenced my decision.) I accepted the fact that though the initial cost was low, I would have to pay premium prices for replacement ink cartridges.

I recently had to manually feed a 350 page project because the scanner auto feed "clipped" the bottom line of text on each page. In addition when using the document feeder, pages were, automatically, cropped and of resized. (unacceptable)

To further rub salt into the wound, on every page I had to tell the scanner that the page scanned was Black & White NOT Color, and manually resize the output. (8 1/2 x 11 not 8 1/2 x 14.

No, I wasn't using HP scan software. (It apparently doesn't allow for default adjustments either.)

The provided owners’ manual was no help.

I found nothing resembling my problem on this forum. - Hey, no problem, no one every asked my question (that I could find).

HP phone support was a joke.  I spent nearly an hour on the phone with no positive result, only feeling that the support personnel were not competent.

The first person I spoke with, a heavily accented female, (I am a senior with military related hearing loss & don't do accents well.) and I totally failed to communicate. She obviously reached the "end of the script" repeatedly because she asked the same series of questions over and over again.

I asked to speak with a supervisor.  He, I could at least understand, but I soon began to think he was working from a script also. When I mentioned third party software (PaperPort) in reply to his question, he told me that that was my problem.  He obviously had never heard of “twain” or “WIA” interface protocols, because he never mentioned them. 

If, early in the conversation, I had been told that this unit doesn’t have the capability of storing user defaults in non-volatile on-board memory, I wouldn’t have had a problem. The way it came down, left me feeling that, at least, the people I talked to didn’t know their product, and I had wasted my time talking to them.

Honor Student
hmollien
Message 2 of 13 (2,822 Views)

hello hairoen,

did you get any further ?

Regards

Herbert

Honor Student
TamiVroma
Message 3 of 13 (2,746 Views)

Does anyone have anything on this subject?  There has got to be a way to change the default scan output to black and white.  I have to do the same thing as above.

Honor Student
dougison
Message 4 of 13 (1,868 Views)

When scanning the images are different sizes.  Some docs are normal size but most are chopped and cut and not useable.  I have tried to find a setting to make it just do a full scan and not arbitrarily size to only a small part of the page being scanned.   What gives with this scanner  hp officejet 6500 multi

Honor Student
haireone
Message 5 of 13 (1,863 Views)

I cured the problem. Got rid of the **bleep** thing!
Honor Student
dougison
Message 6 of 13 (1,859 Views)

Yes I think that is the only answer... Kind of like when you login to this site... they SAY  USERID:  what they mean is EMAIL ADDRESS, because many sites have USERIDs and Email addresses both, But here they make it a unclear as to what they really want... Yep that's my next step Getting Rid of It too...

Provost
pcwizard
Message 7 of 13 (1,853 Views)

Hi

Make the required changes, and then click on the Save Shortcut button.

1.png

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
redleguk
Message 8 of 13 (1,768 Views)

Hi pcwizard, thats exactly what I'm looking for!

But it looks different on my setup, see below.

Any ideas where to find the defaults or Save option??

Thanks, Mike

Untitled.jpg

Provost
pcwizard
Message 9 of 13 (1,752 Views)

Hi redleguk,

You will need to click on the "Create New Shortcut" i have highlighted in the red box. Let me know if that helps you out?

original.jpg

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
redleguk
Message 10 of 13 (1,750 Views)

Hi thanks for the speedy reply. I tried creating a new shortcut but it behaves just like the presets. So you can change the location for one scan but it won't retain the new location and it reverts to Documents next time.

Any other ideas? This is Win XP Pro in an SBS 2003 network.

Thanks, Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation