Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 6 (4,071 Views)

SCAN TO NETWORK FOLDER ON MAC 0SX 10.8.2 (HP 8600 PRO PLUS)

Hi

I have just bought an HP 8600 PRO PLUS and I cannot get the scan to email nor the scan to network folder working.

i have gone through what feels like every single post on this support forum and I have no joy. 

• For Scan to Network folder I keep on getting 'Incorrect Credentials' error even when I have used my MAC login details.
  • For Scan to Email I keep on getting 'Server not found'

I am running the latest firmware CLP1CN1232AR, the latest HP Utility.  Connect to the printer through wireless.  I have setup an SMB folder called SCANS in my Downloads folder and the path I use to connect to it is \\10.0.0.3\SCANS

This is a terrible experience and not the first issue I have had with HP printer / scanners - HP really need to improve this process and make it easier for the less technical folks.

In the interim I would be grateful if someone can help me to try and sort this out. 

Thanks so much

Associate Professor
Message 2 of 6 (4,032 Views)

SCAN TO NETWORK FOLDER ON MAC 0SX 10.8.2 (HP 8600 PRO PLUS)

Hello Zapper888,
Thanks for the post. Check the below steps and verify each, hopefully that will get you scanning without issue. Good Luck!

Follow these steps to troubleshoot scan connection issues on a wireless network.
Solution one: Check to see if other users are using the scanner

NOTE:If there are no other users on your network, skip to the next solution.
Step one: Check to see if other users are using the scanner
Check with other users on your network to see if they are currently using the scanner. If so, wait until they are finished and have closed the scanning session.
Step two: Try the scan again
Try scanning the document again.
If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
If the issue persists , continue to the next solution.
Solution two: Check the Scan to Computer setting
The Scan to Computer setting is enabled when you install the printer software. If you cannot scan to the computer after installing the software, follow these steps to make sure that the Scan to Computer setting is enabled in the software.
Step one: Check the Scan to Computer setting
Follow these steps to check the Scan to Computer setting.
On the main menu, click the Apple icon ( ), and then click System Preferences .
Click Print & Scan .
Under Printers , click your printer, if you see more than one printer.
Click Open Print Queue . The print queue for your printer opens.
Click Printer Setup . A new window opens.
Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility . The HP Utility window opens.
Under Scan Settings , click Scan to Computer .
At the top of the screen, click the check box next to Enable Scan to Computer , if it is not already checked. Scan to Computer is enabled.
If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
Solution three: Repair Disk Permissions
Follow these steps to repair Disk Permissions.
Step one: Repair Disk Permissions
On the menu bar, click GO , and then click Utilities .
From the sub menu on the right, double-click Disk Utility .
Click to select your drive or active partition from the list on the left.
Click the First Aid tab, if it is not already selected.
Click Repair Disk Permissions .
Restart your computer.
Solution four: Uninstall and then reinstall the printer software
Follow these steps to uninstall and then reinstall the printer software.
Step one: Uninstall the printer software
Choose the method you originally used to install the printer software, and then follow the steps to remove the print driver and other software from your computer.

I downloaded and installed the Full Feature software from http://goo.gl/hOm3

I used Apple Software Updates to install the printer software
Step two: Reinstall the printer software
Click HP Software and Drivers to download the latest software from the HP website.
Repeat the steps to install the software on each computer that uses the printer wirelessly over the same network.
Important: To enable full scan function, you must select the Recommended Install option on the Installation Options screen.

NOTE:To install the printer software for a wireless network connection, HP recommends that you download the software from the HP website. The printer CD is not supported in Mountain Lion, and Apple Software Update does not support steps for connecting to the wireless network.

NOTE:If you partitioned your hard drive, you must install the driver on the same partition as the operating system.
Additional resources
USB connection
I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Intern
Message 3 of 6 (4,003 Views)

Re: SCAN TO NETWORK FOLDER ON MAC 0SX 10.8.2 (HP 8600 PRO PLUS)

I also just purchased an Officejet 8600 Pro.  Every scanning feature works EXCEPT scan to network folder.  I am running 10.8.2.  I have the latest firmware installed and the most recent printer driver (3.3.0) installed.  If I install SAMBA (using SMBup) I can scan to network folders, but if I do not run SAMBA and rely on OS X 10.8.2's native SMBx protocol for file sharing, nothing I do allows Scan to Network Folder to work.  I have played with access strings and permissions.  I have tried booting the computer with only SMBx enabled (SMBUp never runs) and then powering on the HP 8600 Pro.  I have tried deleting and recreating the share for the 8600 to scan to.  I have deleted and reinstalled the driver.

According to web postings the latest firmware (which was downloaded by the printer itself since the HP Firmware installer could not find the printer sitting on the ethernte - a bug) allows the printer to use SMBx protocol and scan to a network folder.  If this is the case, I have been unable to find any configuration which allows this to happen.  I have checked  a variety of system logs and I do not see any messages posted as to why the printer's attempt to access the shared folder using SMBx protocol fails.  Maybe such a log exists, but I have not yet found it.

I would very much like to as I would rather not have to run an additional networking protocol.  Since HP advertised this as a feature of the printer,  would it be unreasonable for them to fix the problem?

Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (3,798 Views)

I have the 8600 Pro Plus as well. After having this same problem with both OS X 10.8, I found that if I disable file sharing and then immediately re-enable file sharing, I can then scan to network folder.

You have to remember to do this after every reboot as well.

Bill

Highlighted
Intern
Message 5 of 6 (3,750 Views)

I have also tried the disabling/re-enabling file sharing trick.  Sadly, doing so does not allow scanning to be accomplished to a network folder on my 10.8.2 system.

In order to allow scanning to be done to a network folder, I have installed SMBup on all the Macs that connect to my home network.  SMBup installs and runs the older SMB protocol which the HP 8600 appears to require for scanning to network folders.  SMBup can be downloaded from MacUpdate.com.

To say the very least, HP has not been very responsive at adressing this issue.

Student
Message 6 of 6 (2,856 Views)

I'm also having the same problem with the Scan to Network. 

I've got the latest firmware, drivers & OS updates. I'm on Lion 10.7.5

I can remove all shares and re-create them and after a couple of attempts I will manage to get it working. UNTIL I reboot my mac and I'm getting the 'Invalid Credentials' error.

If I delete everything and start again, after another couple of attempts it'll work again.

Obviously this in unacceptable and as this is the main reason I bought this printer I'm going to have to return it unless I can get it working. I've spent hours trawling the web and playing with settings.

I don't want to install legacy open source network protocols on my iMac.

I'm an IT consultant by the way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation