Question

Top Student
Foxy1
Message 1 of 7 (5,275 Views)

SCANNER DOES NOT WORK (PSC 2355 and Photosmart C7280)

I have major scanner issues.  I have spent many, many hours with HP Chat help.  They all have run me around with deleting, installing, deleting, installing.  I fear they have had me delete things that should not have been deleted.  They all act like they are in a hurry to get ride of you as they don't want to take the time to go thru each individual item to be deleted....Just delete anything that says "HP".  They are pretty much useless in resolving this scanner problem.  Actually, their help has not helped but caused more problems.

I had the HP PSC 2355 All in One.  It worked great.  I ordered the C7280 to upgrade.  Installed it as a wireless.  It not only did NOT scan, it caused major computer errors and all but stopped my computer from working at all.  I uninstalled.  Sent the C7280 back.  I am back to using my PSC 2355 but now am still unable to scan.  I get errors like: "Select SKin - Error - The file C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Skins\oov1\skin.xml does not exist."  and  "Error - Unable to communicate with HP scanning software.  Please verify that it has been installed and is working properly.  If this problem persists, please shut down your application and try again." 

Nothing has resolved this problem.  I am at wits end.  I don't know where to turn to get help.  I am not an expert....I consider myself an intermediate in knowledge and use of the computer so a lot of the technical jargon is over my head. 

My operating system is XP.  I too, do NOT have the Solution Center any more.  Can't scan even from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Scanner and Camera Wizard.  Can't scan Document Files.  Just plain can't scan period!  The sad part, these problems are NOT unique to just a specific printer model.  And it seems there is no one at HP that can help. 

I have uninstalled, installed so many times and nothing changes. 

Being as how my PSC 2355 is not a new printer, calling HP Tech Support is out of the question.  Short of doing a hard drive format and starting all over from scratch, I don't know what else to do.  Maybe the answer is hiring a computer Guru to come and resolve this problem.  Any suggestions? 

Student
PDad
Message 2 of 7 (3,434 Views)

Re: SCANNER DOES NOT WORK (PSC 2355 and Photosmart C7280)

I have the asme issue with an Officejet 5510.  Does anyone ahve a resolution for this issue?

Thanks...

Top Student
Foxy1
Message 3 of 7 (3,425 Views)

Since I submitted a request for anyone out there to resolve this issue (well over a year ago), it is unlikely that anyone will provide an answer.  I resolved my issue with the problem when my computer crashed and I had to buy a new computer.  I also bought a new, up to date HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer and it is fabulous.  I suggest you fully delete your printer.  Then obtain the latest drivers on-line from HP for your printer.  Install them.  If it doesn't do the job, then think about buying a new printer and start fresh.  Sorry I can't offer you any better solutions..........I do know that when I installed my new printer, HP suggested I not install with the Disc that came with the printer......they suggested I go on-lne and download the latest drivers for my new printer.  I think that may be your best answer to solving the problem.  Good Luck!

Honor Student
mbamsh
Message 4 of 7 (3,405 Views)

I feel your pain!  i have a new Mac and an old HP 3030 all-in-one.  The aio works except for the scanner.  i am not a novice, but hired a "computer guru" to help.  HE COULD NOT GET IT TO SCAN!  He tells me HP is the culprit, but I don't know for sure.  I am about two days away from chunking the HP3030 and going to a Canon (if the vendor can guarantee that it will work with a Mac). 

I really wanted my aio to work wirelessly with my new Mac.  It won't!  My HP Photosmart 1530 won't either!  They both have to be connected thru the usb ports.

Good luck!

mbamsh

Honor Student
mbamsh
Message 5 of 7 (3,405 Views)

Re: SCANNER DOES NOT WORK WITH MAC (HP3030 ALL-IN-ONE)

all functions work except scanner.  HELP!!!!!!

Top Student
Foxy1
Message 6 of 7 (3,397 Views)

mbamsh wrote:

I feel your pain!  i have a new Mac and an old HP 3030 all-in-one.  The aio works except for the scanner.  i am not a novice, but hired a "computer guru" to help.  HE COULD NOT GET IT TO SCAN!  He tells me HP is the culprit, but I don't know for sure.  I am about two days away from chunking the HP3030 and going to a Canon (if the vendor can guarantee that it will work with a Mac). 

I really wanted my aio to work wirelessly with my new Mac.  It won't!  My HP Photosmart 1530 won't either!  They both have to be connected thru the usb ports.

Good luck!

mbamsh

Did you try un-installing the printer software completely and then downloading the drivers on-line (so you get the latest and greatest up to date drivers) and then install according to the directions for your specific printer?  Using the disc provided with your printer is out of date and most likely not installing correctly. 

I know how frustrating it is to not be able to use all of the features of your printer but maybe it is time for you to spring for a new one.  Then by all means do not use the disc provided.........Go on-line and download the latest drivers and you should be in business.

Note:  I find the help from HP technical very lacking in resolving issues with older equipment (CPUs or printers) but they seem to have a handle on it with the newest printers etc.  They will walk you through an installation from start to finish on the phone if you are needing to install a new computer or printer etc.  Chuck the old equipment........you will find the new stuff very user friendly and so much improved over the old stuff.

Good luck!

Student
AlanSP
Message 7 of 7 (2,407 Views)

Hi Folks, I have the same problem with an Epson all in one. The copier worked, the printer worked but no scanner.

So I bought an HP Photosmart B109 all in one. I used the video with the driver disc to set up the unit and all seemed fine, until I tried to scan.

The device mangler in Windows XP shows two unkown USB devices, Flags them as HP Photosmart B109a-m, and describes them as "working properly". Hence the term 'Device Mangler'.

I have searched about and tried a few things. I tried copying the original Twain and Twunk files from the XP install CD but still no scanner. I also note that I cannot connect to cameras anymore, either. I tried disabling Windows Image Aquisition service also without success.

I am going to reload windows and will post again if successful.

The only working solutions for this problem that I have seen are re-load Windows and buy a new PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation