Question

Honor Student
lucdaniels
Message 1 of 40 (25,603 Views)

Scan problem with HP officejet 6500 E710n-z

The printer is brandnew, and I just installed it. Printing works fine (wireless), but when I trie to scan, I get an error message 'printer not found'

Before I had an HP 6180, an I had the same problem.

my operating system = Windows Vista :smileysad:

Thanks for helping me solve this problem.

Luc

Honor Student
BrianMac21
Message 2 of 40 (25,567 Views)

Re: Scan problem with HP officejet 6500 E710n-z

Try the following;

- Open HP OfficeJet Software that should be installed on your computer

- You should see scanner actions

- Underneath scanner action, there should be a hyperlink saying "Activate Scan to Computer"

- Click on that and it should work

Student
tmonjar
Message 3 of 40 (25,537 Views)

I had this same problem and tried activating the scanner before seeing this post. It activated successfully but still does not find the device when trying to scan

Honor Student
lucdaniels
Message 4 of 40 (25,519 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

UnfortunatelyI don't see 'scanner actions': 'All Programs' > HP > HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z.

(Before this one, I had an HP Photosmart  C6180, with 'solution center' on the desktop. I don' find anything like this now.)

Student
mindfulmatters
Message 5 of 40 (25,509 Views)

Have had this printer/fax/scanner for 2 months and the scanner has never worked. I have Windows 7 32-bit and have had no problems faxing and printing, however scanning is non-existent.

When I clicked on 'activate scan to computer' an error box comes up saying "scan to computer is not activated. Error launching the program. The device was not specified."

It seems like the the driver or software that the machine utilizes is not activated or installed properly. Like others in this discussion, I have tried numerous time (maybe 5 or 6 times) to reinstall the software. To no avail, the scanner is still not functioning on the computer. I have also tried to scan from the printer's touch screen directly to the computer, but the screen says there is no computer detected (which is odd becuase we are able to print wirelessly and fax).

I work for a small business that is negatively affected by this malfunction. I would greatly appreciate a solution if anyone has found one.

Student
loumet
Message 6 of 40 (25,373 Views)

same problems with windows xp!  cannot scan - what should i do?  return the product???

Student
healym
Message 7 of 40 (24,711 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem and have ended up at the same place as Mindfulmatters explains in his post.  I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps HP outlines, and I come to "Activate scan to computer" and I get the same error message.

HP support chat helped me.  When I clicked on the desktop icon I didn't get the "Activate scan to computer" I only got that from the window that appeared from the "printer and devices" folder from the start menu.  The only options in the window that popped up when I clicked my desktop were "install new software" and "Install new printer."  I had to install new printer, clicking on the option that indicated the printer I had already thought was installed.  That fixed the problem.  Hope that helps.

Student
DPiersma
Message 8 of 40 (22,627 Views)

SCAN ISSUE SOLVED!!!!

I have an HP Photosmart 6500a Plus printer that is connected via USB to a less than 1 year old Dell XPS 8300 tower running Win 7 64bit Home Premium Edition.  The print function worked fine but scans would halt mid-way through the scan and eventually the software would indicate that it had lost connection with the scanner. 

After EXTENSIVE testing, I determined that the problem was with the Dell tower and NOT THE PRINTER.  I hooked the printer up to a Dell Inspiron mni-tower running Vista and had NO PROBLEM scanning.  I hooked the printer up to a Gateway laptop running Win 7 Pro and had NO PROBLEM scanning.

On a hunch, I inserted a POWERED USB hub in between the Dell XPS 8300 tower and the HP Photosmart 6500a Plus and was rewarded with a, first time ever on the XPS 8300, complete and flawless scan.

I surmise that the HP Photosmart 6500a Plus was not getting the required voltage from the USB on the Dell XPS 8300 tower and that was causing the scan to fail.

WOOHOO!

Been chasing this one for several months...

Student
DavidRB
Message 9 of 40 (22,428 Views)

Sounds good but didn't work for me.  I tried to do that, and it worked, but I still have problems printing from the desktop icon.  I get this error message:  "HP Scan: The HP Officejet E710n-z was not found."  Do you have any more help?

Honor Student
Tcamilleb
Message 10 of 40 (21,550 Views)

[ Edited ]
Tried to install 6500 E710n-z(USB) but it won't scan. Tried all solutions and it still won't scan. It prints, faxes and copies. Returned a 4500 because it would not scan either. Spent countless hours trying all the fixes. Read the forum on HP and decided it might be the device. Now I wonder what I am missing??? It most likely is something obvious... Operating system is XP with current updates.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation