Scan problem with HP officejet 6500 E710n-z (25411 Views)
Top Student
DK_66
Message 21 of 40 (3,540 Views)

Re: Scan problem with HP officejet 6500 E710n-z

I have the same issue.  I tried with HP 6500 (2 different printers) and then HP sent me a free HP 6700 as replacement to try and get that to work.  I could never get any of the 3 to work.  I was on-line with HP customer support for over 6 hours over a span of 2 days!!  (what a joke that was).  They could never identify the problem.  Print and Fax works fine but scanning does not.  I tried from a Win7 machine and machine with Vista.  I am convinced it has something to do with my Firewall even though I thought I had disabled it during setup and installation.  I am using Norton Internet Security 2010 (or maybe 2011).  This has been real frustrating.  I really wish HP would step up to the plate and commit to get this reoccurring problem fixed. 

Disappointed and confused....

Top Student
nancib
Message 22 of 40 (3,536 Views)

Hp sent me a new 6500A printer and I still had the same problem.

I have a Dell XPS8300 and have been working with them on the problem.  If I plug the usb

cable into the top ports on my computer the scan works( they are all usb 2.0 ports)

Because the scan function worked in the top ports HP feels it isn't a problem with the HP printer

or software.  The scan also fails when using the windows scan and with paint, etc.  I tried it

on an older Dell pc running windows XP and it doesn't work on that one either.  I have a friend

that just bought the same printer and has a Toshiba laptob and it works fine.

Nancy

Honor Student
Tcamilleb
Message 23 of 40 (3,495 Views)

I have tried all the solutions recommended.  None of them work.  The machine will print and fax; but, it has NEVER scanned.  HP seems to have the same issues with their new machines, not just this model.  I am seriously considering purchasing a Canon, too.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 24 of 40 (3,470 Views)

Hi,

Can you check if the USB ports you are connecting the printer to is a USB 3.0 port? I am just wondering if this is the issue although it should not be.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Top Student
nancib
Message 25 of 40 (3,448 Views)

No All of my ports are 2.0.  I'm working with Dell on this because

when I plug the printer into either of the top two ports on my computer

I can scan.  However, when I plug it into any of the other 6 ports it doesn't.

Honor Student
aae55555
Message 26 of 40 (3,019 Views)

Hi guys

Thought I would sign up and share my fix for the "Error launching the program. The device was not specified" problem.

To fix this error, you have to go to Start, Programs, HP, HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z, Then go through the "Printer Setup & Software". You have to successfully complete this setup in order to get past the activate to scan error.

In my case, my printer is connected via Ethernet to my wireless router. So I set a static IP from the printer itself via network settings.

Then I entered this IP on the PC under the HP "Printer setup and software" program above.

It successfully found and setup my printer (even though other functions were already working prior to this).

I was then able to successfully activate "Activate Scan To Computer" and can now both scan to PC from the printer itself, and from the PC.

Hope that helps
Tutor
andyarroncope
Message 27 of 40 (2,594 Views)

Dear Tcamilleb,

I had your same problem, with the same printer. 
Indeed it is error through the programing of the two-way comunication between computer and printer via Wifi.

This is fault on HP's side, and they have not yet come up with a solution. 
There is a simple workaround that is somewhat tidious, but it alows you to scan wirelessly and recieve ink levels wirelessly. 
On your printer, go to;
Setup > Network > View Network Summary > View Wireless

On this page, you'll see your printers IP Address. Write this down, (or remember it.)
Back to your computer, open up a new tab in a web browser. (IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.)
Type in your printer's IP address into the URL bar.     
It takes you to a page that says 

"Officejet 6500 E710n-z"

This is your printers "Embedded Web Server"

If your printer is connected to your network correctly, you should see;

Estimated Ink Levels:*

*Estimate only. Actual ink levels may vary.

In the tabs above the ink levels, you should see a tab that says ">>Scan" 
Click this tab, and it'll take you to "Webscan" page.
Set the settins your desire for your scan, then click "Start Scan" in the bottem right hand corner.
Your printer should then scan to your computer.

I reccomend creating a bookmark for your printers page for easy access.

Best of luck!
-Andy Cope

Student
stealthqueen
Message 28 of 40 (2,462 Views)

thank you thank you thank you from a non-techie - after an hour of reading supremely complicated and confusing posts on this issue, your simple answer (walk though the full HP set up) worked!!!

Honor Student
TheCMLab
Message 29 of 40 (1,895 Views)

OMG, Andy - THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Tutor
andyarroncope
Message 30 of 40 (1,887 Views)

Glad to be of help to both of you :
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation