Question

Tutor
papadude
Message 1 of 7 (1,638 Views)

Scan stalls half way through and never finishes

Using Windows 7 Home Prem.-64 bit, Photosmart C7280 All-in-One, with USB cable. I have carefully uninstalled and reinstalled driver, solution center, and any other related software multiple times. More times than not, the scan stops part way through (example attached) and then (after several minutes) displays the messages below: 

scan error.PNG

Scan problem.PNG

Scan problem2.PNG 

Papadude
Teacher
GregCo
Message 2 of 7 (1,630 Views)

Re: Scan stalls half way through and never finishes

Perhaps the Scan Diagnostic can give us more clues....

Here's a link.

What does it say?

- Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Tutor
papadude
Message 3 of 7 (1,625 Views)

it stops on Driver and says to do an uninstall and reinstall, which I have done multiple times. Recommend doing again? Thanks

Papadude
Teacher
GregCo
Message 4 of 7 (1,613 Views)

at that step the tool is checking the registry to indicate a specific sw installation step was completed.  Since it failed, a "fix" is to uninstall the other parts of the solution and install again.   This time, uninstall using the button in the SDU and install the latest sw from hp's support site... here.

It can help to unplug and replug in the C7280 before the sw reinstall.

I know this takes time, but it's a good thing to try once more.

(and, did you get to Win7 from an upgrade from a system on which the 7280 has already been working?)

Tutor
papadude
Message 5 of 7 (1,609 Views)

the Win7 I have now is on a new HP computer that came installed. Yes the All-in One did work on my previous Vista HP, though. Sorry- what is SDU?

Papadude
Teacher
GregCo
Message 6 of 7 (1,587 Views)

I'm sorry.  SDU is Scan Diagnostic Utility.  TLAs are rampant! (Three Letter Acronyms :smileywink:

Let's go back closer to the beginning... what was the source (and version / name) of the software you installed the first time you put the 7280 on your new Win7 machine? 

Tutor
papadude
Message 7 of 7 (1,578 Views)

I don't think I have that info now at this point, but the download was from the HP website. I am reinstalling the current version right now from HP site. Would it matter in functionality if I have an HP flatbed scanner (G4050) and the C7280 both showing up on the Solution Center? I just choose which I want to work with- should be OK-yes?

Papadude
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation