Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8620
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

The feature (scan to pc) used to be available on printer screen menu and I was using it for nearly 2 years without any issues on the same network and the same MAC. A few weeks ago I realized that printer no longer recognizes my laptop as well as all scanning softwares that I used to use before are not anymore able to find the printer.

I have downloaded all updates after which printing is working, scan to Email is working, though Scan to PC is not anymore available. I do not even have this option in HP Utilities. How do I fix that? 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this:

From the Applications folder delete any existing HP Scan or HP Easy Scan or HP Utility app.
Delete HP Scan or HP Easy Scan or HP Utility by moving it to trash, then empty the trash.

Ensure the latest software is installed, use this link for your printer to download HP Easy Start:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8620-e-all-in-one-printer-series/53...

Also, make sure that your drivers are up to date

> Click on the Apple icon, select About this Mac and then press Software Update
>Click Store on the top menu bar, click Reload Page, click Update All if any updated are available.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for your post. I did everything as you instructed, however again once HP Easy Start finds  my printer, a warning message appears "some of your device functions may be unavailable.  OS X supports scanning and faxing features for devices connected via Bonjour only, but this device can not be discovered via Bonjour. You may continue to set up this device for printing only. To use all device functions, enable Bonjour on your device, ensure the device is connected to the same local network as your Mac, and then select the device again when it appears on the list"

I have not changed anything on my printer settins, though I upgraded its software recently and I believe the message started popping out after the upgrate, please advise, thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you try to add your printer via IP address, this example will show you how:

macOS 10 12 Sierra: Adding a printer using IP address

Believed that El Capitan should be having similar steps.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for your response. Printer connected via IP does not even show scan option in System Preferences window. While the printer connceted via HP Easy Set up does show both print/scan options, the computer constantly shows the status of the printer as offline (the printer is online and connected in fact).

Please could you help me understand what happened to the printer and how to fix it, as for nearly 2 years everything was working great and now it is a disaster whenever I try to use it. It is really a shame to developers that allowed such faulty updates go through. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you try this:

1.   Do a Restore Network Defaults

This example will show you how it's done (different printer but the steps are the similar):

Restore Printer Network Settings

2. From the Applications folder delete any existing HP Scan or HP Easy Scan app or HP Utilities.
Delete HP Scan or HP Easy Scan or HP Utilities by moving it to trash, then empty the trash.

Download the HP Easy Start and start all over again to install the software..

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Hello again,

This is getting even more bizarre. I have to stay that somewhere in between me doing these steps,  HP easy start did not give me an error message of not being able to scan and "scan to pc"appeared on HP utility and I was able to turn scan to PC on and it seemed like everything is back to normal UNTIL I tried to use it again and nothing worked, i.e. the software was not able to locate the printer.

Any more suggestions please? thanks

HP Recommended

adding to the previous message - I have to note that printing usually works and the printer is recognised in system preferences and HP utilities as printer, though scanning is a constant issue. 

It appears no scan button on System pref, Easy start does not identify scanning option and neither of scannin apps locate the device

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.