Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My problem seems to be one that has already been reported and solved. However, the solution didn’t work for me and so I am trying again.

My printer is a Photosmart 7520, that I've had for almost a year. My computer is running Windows 7 and is connected to the printer by a USB cable. Another computer is running XP and is connected wirelessly.

Recently a small popup displaying the two lines

Scan to computer is no longer activated.

The network to the printer has been lost.

would appear on my screen and quickly disappear.

Shortly after this the printer would suddenly emit some musical notes followed by mechanical sounds similar to when it starts up. The display screen, that had been blank because the printer was sitting there inactive for quite a while, appears at the same time. Right around this time the two lines message appears on the XP machine. Shortly after the display screen on the printer goes dark again – until the next occurrence.

Any ideas what’s happening and how I can stop this annoyance?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You can disable this by deactivating the scan to computer feature.

On your desktop doubleclick the printer icon.

In the new screen click on "manage scan to computer"

In the new screen un-tick the Automaticly start scan to computer......

and click the disable button.

When you want to scan, launch the the HP Scan application and do scan.

But if you wants to do Scan to computer from the control panel of the printer, then you need to activate back the 'Manage to scan'

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

Thank you, prabaa, for your reply.

Unfortunately I am having trouble following your suggestions.

I do not have a printer icon on my desktop.  However, when I open the printer icon in Devices and Printers, I can click on HP Printer Assistant. There is a category Print, Scan & Fax. In that category there is another category Scan with one entry: Scana document or photo (Open the scan dialog box). When I click that I see a list of six scan options: photo to file, photo to email, document to file, document to email, photo to tif, document to tif.  There is no “manage scan to computer”.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Another clue, perhaps. There was something else I thought was happening but didn't confirm it until a short while ago. A short time (15 to 20 seconds) before the musical tones and printer sounds, there is another sound. It is the sound that happens if you remove a USB flash drive without clicking the Remove Hardware and Eject Media button.

HP Recommended

I found Manage Scan to Your Computer and the error was my only looking at one icon and not bothering with the second.

When I open Devises and Printers I see two icons for my 7520. One says HP Photosmart 7520 series and the other says Fax - HP Photosmart 7520 series (Network).  When I click on the first one, then click on HP Printer Assistant I do not see Manage Scan to Your Computer but I do see it in the Printer Assistant for the second.

Unfortunately, even after I disabled Scan to Computer, the sounds still continue.

Does this generate any new ideas?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

This method worked precisely as you described.  That is why you will earn your PHD.

Thanks, the false alarms were exceedingly annoying.

Robert

HP Recommended

I have the problem of 'Scantopcaplication is no longer available' with an EPrint 3520 and have tried to follow the advice of Prabaa (02/04/14) which was:

• You can disable this by deactivating the scan to computer feature.

On your desktop doubleclick the printer icon.

In the new screen click on "manage scan to computer"
    In the new screen un-tick the Automaticly start scan to computer......
    and click the disable button.

When you want to scan, launch the the HP Scan application and do scan.

But if you wants to do Scan to computer from the control panel of the printer, then you need to activate back the 'Manage to scan'

When I double click the Eprint icon in Devices and Printers all I get is the printer queue information box and no option to select 'manage scan to computer'.

Is there a different method of disabling 'manage scan to computer'?

I woud appreciate any help that I can get as currently I repeatedly get a message pop up along with an alarm tone and would dearly like to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

oldman45

HP Recommended

When opening the HP Printer Assistant you will only see the Manage Scan to Computer if the printer is using the HP port type.  If the printer is using WSD port type then the option will not be available.

So if your printer is connected via WSD then you'll need to run the HP setup software Add Printer Wizard to find the printer again and have the setup software add the printer as a HP printer port type.

After doing this you'll then be able to open the HP Printer Assistant and see the Manage Scan to Computer option when then you can disable it. There are other ways to disable this though, like via the Task Manager, Startup tab, and then disable Scan to Computer (ScanToPCActivationApp).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.