Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I'm running Win7SP1.64bit and trying to install a Scanjet 200 flatbed photo scanner. The installation runs to completion with no error messages but...

Some of the software doesn't appear to have installed correctly, therefore the two desktop shortcuts (HP Scanning and HP Copy) do not work (they both point to hpqkygrp.exe which does not exist on my HDD or on the CD (although it could be in a CAB file somewhere)).

There are no scanner shortcuts at all in my Start menu - only HP Update and a link to IRIS OCR Registration.

All the buttons on the scanner do launch the scan app but it only allows me to scan to picture (JPG, BMP, PNG, TIF). I cannot scan to PDF, scan to email, or scan to printer (copy).

In the scan app, if I click to change the scanner I get the oportunity to change the properties... On the Events tab, I should be able to configure the actions associated with each of the four buttons but the only available "Start this program" action is "Scan". All four buttons are set to this action.

Control Panel -> Programs&Features entries are

HP Update,

HP Imaging Device Functions 14.5 and

OCR Software by I.R.I.S. 14.5.

I've installed and uninstalled the driver and the software numerous times with no difference. I've tried the driver on the CD and downloaded the latest driver from the HP website. I've followed all the troubleshooting procedures I can find but none have helped and i've tried googling this elusive hpqkygrp.exe and found diddlysquat.

I have little enough hair left as it is. Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Nick

Did you ever get a solution to this problem.  I am about to take my scanner and drop it from a tall building.

I had a Cannon and it worked like a dream until stolen.  It seems unlikley that anyone would want to steal this HP.

Regards

Douglas

HP Recommended

Nope, no replies, solutions, suggestions or any kind of information about what the heck was going on. My Scanjet is in the bin and I'll never buy another one. I dusted off my old Epsom scanner and feel much less stressed when I need to scan.

We live, we learn.

HP Recommended

forget the hp icons. go to windows fax and scan and enter this will oprn the scanner and you have all the available functions

HP Recommended

I experienced the same problem when attempting to install my Scanjet 200 on a brand new HP PC running Windows 10 64-bit. Although HP Support were very helpful, a solution had not been identified after a couple of hours investigation of my PC under remote control.

Having tried everything I could think of, I eventually realised that the problem is due to files or registry entries which cause the installation process to believe that the scanner software components are already installed. This is resolved by carrying out a full uninstall, then a full reinstall.

To uninstall (assuming that you have used the standard install locations), open a command prompt window with administrator privileges and run the following command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\{08EA884B-35AE-4DD3-8E3C-664F74224122}\setup\hpzscr40.exe" -datfile hpgscr50.dat -forcereboot

Then reboot and reinstall using the standard HP install procedure, setup_full_200.exe. You will find that all software components now install correctly. This worked for me and saved me tearing out any more hair ! Further information regarding Scanjet 200 uninstall can be found at:

http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/HP-Scanjet-200-3424ad5847034d9a08a51ee60c3908f9-application.htm

HP Recommended

@Willo_o wrote:

I experienced the same problem when attempting to install my Scanjet 200 on a brand new HP PC running Windows 10 64-bit. Although HP Support were very helpful, a solution had not been identified after a couple of hours investigation of my PC under remote control.

Having tried everything I could think of, I eventually realised that the problem is due to files or registry entries which cause the installation process to believe that the scanner software components are already installed. This is resolved by carrying out a full uninstall, then a full reinstall.

To uninstall (assuming that you have used the standard install locations), open a command prompt window with administrator privileges and run the following command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\{08EA884B-35AE-4DD3-8E3C-664F74224122}\setup\hpzscr40.exe" -datfile hpgscr50.dat -forcereboot

Then reboot and reinstall using the standard HP install procedure, setup_full_200.exe. You will find that all software components now install correctly. This worked for me and saved me tearing out any more hair ! Further information regarding Scanjet 200 uninstall can be found at:

http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/HP-Scanjet-200-3424ad5847034d9a08a51ee60c3908f9-application.htm

The Bin file in DigitalImaging  did not load correctly, I found this by installing the software on an old XP PC  where it did run to my surprise and compared sizes, the bigger one was on the XP, so I copied it and loaded it to my main PC,which solved this problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.