03-10-2010 01:41 PM
Just replaced my computer but I haven't been able to install the software for my Scanjet 4890. I receve an error message (fatal error msi.hpg.4850). Anyone have a solution?
03-12-2010 10:35 AM
The Scanjet 4890 is not supported on Windows 7 (link).
There are other posts about using XP-compatibility mode to support older scanjet models.
03-12-2010 04:06 PM
Here is a thread that shows how to install the Vista drivers on Win7 using Vista compatilbility. Most people seem happy with that solution. Unfortunately, the thread starts with a negative tone.
11-27-2010 02:41 PM
Yes, this does work . . . thanks.
But I still find it frustrating that I have a top of the line HP scanner, which is relatively new and which I use a lot, that is not natively supported by my new Windows 7 environment.
Bob St John
09-22-2012 01:00 PM
I have Windows 7 as my operating system. My HP ScanJet 4890 was not compatible with this. This just made me sick. HP told me to install the full program for windows vista seven 64-bit. In small print it said that I should unplug the USB port be installing this program. Once I did the programs installed successfully. I am so tickled. Thank you HP for, helping us all through this. Good flatbed scanners are getting hard to find.
before I tried this workaroundI purchased two Epson scanners that I have returned. They are so on inferor to HP.
Thank you HP for helping us out. I hope the updates will keep coming.
10-07-2012 03:50 PM
I have followed all of the steps for installing the full software package for the Scanjet 4890 on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. None of them work.. The installer gets as far as extracting the files, then just disappears.
Can anyone help! I love this scanner and don't want to replace it.
10-19-2012 06:32 AM
What worked for me to use my HP 4890 scanner on Windows 7 64-bit was to install HP's full featured program using Vista compatibility mode.
Got to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/S
I think HP did a poor job of authoring their support document. You must tell their web site that your operating system is Vista 64-bit but first you need to get the instructions for Win 7 64-bit.
Best of luck!
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- HP All-in-One and Fax Product Family - Interpreting Error Codes in Fax Communication Error or Fax History Reports
- HP Fax Products - Testing Your HP Fax Machine with the HP Fax Test Service
- HP All-in-One Products - A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax
- An 'An error occurred while communicating with scanning device' or a 'There is no computer connection' Message Displays When Scanning for HP Printers