Message 1 of 1 (523 Views)

Scanjet 5490c driver or workaround for Windows 7

With the April 2014 end of Microsoft security support for XP, I will need to upgrade all my PCs to Windows 7 (like millions of others I dislike Windows 8) but your website indicates you have no Windows 7 drivers for my Scanjet 5490c.

I went to the third-party websites your site recommended but EMC2 does not list compatibility with my scanner and Hamrick says their software will run on the 5490c but only if I have drivers for my OS, which thus rules out Windows 7.  Microsoft had no driver listed.

I hate throwing out perfectly good equipment/tools and the scanner is another good HP device.  (I have several HP products, going back to an Officejet K80 that is still going strong but want the benefits of the 5490c’s flatbed.

If you can not help me, the only option I can think of is to keep one PC on XP (and off the internet) for using this scanner and then transferring files between PCs.  A big hassle, especially since any USB drive would need to be scanned for malware before connecting to the XP PC.

I’ve looked on the web but every time I read a blog post about somebody having success setting up the scanner with Windows 7 there are multiple replies that others have not been able to duplicate that success.

A computer technician said that Windows 7 in XP mode (which requires Professional or Ultimate versions of the OS plus a downloaded virtual pc file) will help software programs to run but not device drivers.

What options do you know of?

A driver from a different HP product that works on the 5490c/5470?
A driver from another company’s product that perhaps has similar internal parts?
A Linux driver that works with Windows 7?

Anything else?

Thank you for any help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation