Question

Top Student
RocketeerJosh
Message 1 of 16 (525 Views)

Scanjet G2410 won't work under Windows 8

Hi forum!

I'm facing some difficulties getting my HP Scanjet G2410 to work on my newly installed Windows 8.

I've checked if the necessary services are running (WIA, RPC, ...), and that is the case.

When I run the HP Doctor for scanning and printing, I see that the "Windows (WIA)-scan" part starts, but doesn't continue. I've let it run overnight, but it just doesn't move any further.

Event viewer doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, so I'm kind of stuck here...

Has anyone experienced anything like this before, and found a solution? So far my search hasn't returned any results.

Thanks in advance!

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 16 (502 Views)

Re: Scanjet G2410 won't work under Windows 8

Sounds like you are having some issues with your scanjet. First have you tried installing the full-feature software and drivers from the website? I would unplug the USB cord and remove the software currently installed then follow the link below and install the drivers :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&...

Let me know how that goes and I will get right back with you!

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here!

-Spencer

Top Student
RocketeerJosh
Message 3 of 16 (500 Views)

Hi Spencer,

Yes, I've tried both the full install and the driver only package.
None of both seem to work. After insalling the driver only, I tried to perform a test scan, but that one also got stuck.
If,Ihysically look at what is happening when I give the scan command, I see that the scan light doesn't seem to reach the glass plate. It tries to start, but see's to fail.
Any other ideas?

Thank you!
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 16 (487 Views)

What method are you using to connect the device to your computer? USB, RJ45, Parallel to USB, Parallel to RJ45 ... 

-Spencer 

Top Student
RocketeerJosh
Message 5 of 16 (474 Views)

Hi Spencer,

This is a normal, direct USB connection.

I've tried it in another port as well; that created a new scan device at first, and posed the same issue.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 16 (469 Views)

The computer you are using is it an HP or is it made by another manufacturer? I am thinking of the next series of steps we can take to resolve this, and I need to know that to decide the best path. 

-Spencer 

Top Student
RocketeerJosh
Message 7 of 16 (465 Views)

Hey Spencer,

No, it's not an HP computer. It's a custom built system.

Before the reinstall it was running on Vista, and that worked perfectly. It's only after I formatted the system and installed Windows 8 that I can't get it to work.

It's a strange problem :-)

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 16 (463 Views)

I would like you to remove the software as fully as you can from the computer. Then open the RUN dialog box and type "%appdata%" and open that folder and delete the HP or Hewlett-Packard folders in that file. Do the same for "%programdata%." Then open up your Computer, and in the C: drive find the folders for Programs Files and Program Files (x86). Delete the HP and Hewlett-Packard folders here too. 

Then install the scanner again  from the driver downloads and let me know how that responds.

-Spencer 

Top Student
RocketeerJosh
Message 9 of 16 (459 Views)

Hi Spencer,

Will this affect my printer as well?

I think I only installed the base driver (if Windows didn't automatically did that for me), and I don't want to lose my printing abilities (it's important that I can still print).

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 10 of 16 (456 Views)

Yes, it will. I would uninstall all HP software and prepare to install both devices. I would do both from the drivers that are on the HP website. 

-Spencer 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation