Question
Scanner Unreachable - HP Officejet Pro 8600
Replies (93)

Provost
pcwizard
Message 51 of 94 (832 Views)

Re: Scanner Unreachable - HP Officejet Pro 8600

Hi vcalder, 

I can understand your frustrations. At this point lets start from scratch, and I will also test the current driver and software on my XP computer here to see what experience I get. In the meantime please rerun the Print and Scan doctor, and report back to me the errors you are recieving. I am attempting to isolate the cause you all are seeing. 

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
vcalder
Message 52 of 94 (826 Views)

I think you misunderstood.  I am no longer using an XP computer.  I'm the one who reported that I had to replace my old laptop running XP because the processor was getting "tired" and slow.  My new laptop running Windows 8 is working well with this software.  Therefore, my comments were intended to suppport the comments from people like IDb who are still struggling with these printers and Windows XP.  My only issue now with the software is whether the new version will work with Windows Vista.  I haven't had time time remove the original CD version from that computer (which seems to be working fine) and replace it with the latest software.  When I tried it earlier (not sure whether it was the same version as now) it would not work.  When I get time to do that I'll report whether I'm still having an issue with the software and Vista.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 53 of 94 (823 Views)

Hi vcalder,

Good to  hear it is working on the new computer. If the prijnter is currently working on the Vista computer then there would be no need to update to the newer software unless you wanted to. Thank you for the update. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

IDb Top Student
Top Student
IDb
Message 54 of 94 (812 Views)

Here's an update:

I was fortunate that a co-worker let me borrow his laptop.  It is a newer Lenovo than I am using and is running Windows 7.

I downloaded and installed the latest full version of software 28.8.

All printer functions work flawlessly.  No intermittent connection.  I can do the previously impossible 'Manage Fax Settings' with absolutely no problems.  I am on the same router, same network, same printer IP address, same wall outlet, same distance from the router.

If anyone can think of why this doesn't conclusively eliminate any network, access point, router, router firewall, siganl strength, wall outlet problem; I would like to hear the argument.

Back to the XP.  Because the communication seems to work on and off, it would seem to be a particular timing / handshaking problem particular with using XP.  This problem could be a compatibility issue on the software / firmware side of the printer or on the software side of the PC.  But keep in mind, before you scream OS corruption.  I have 2 different PC's running two different versions of XP.  Desktop is a Dell running XP Home.  Lenovo work laptop running XP Professional.  Both exhibit same issues.  Maybe one computer couuld have corrupt OS, but I doubt they both are  corrupt in such a similar way.  And vcalder had similar issues (thanks for letting me piggy back on your thread:smileyhappy:  )

I find it very difficult to believe that HP can not replicate this problem when it seems so many others can.  It is certaintly easier to blame other things besides HP having a software or firmware issue.

How many people running XP will HP scare away unecessarily before admitting they have a software / setting compatibility issue with XP?

Since we have come this far; if you are willing, I would really like to get to the bottom of this.  Not just for me, but for all of the others who have cussed the screen or will be soon.

What do you suggest should be tried next?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 55 of 94 (805 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi IDb, 

Thank you for the update. At this point I would like you to re-run the Print and Scan doctor from the link below, and then report back to me with the errors you recieve. After you run the utility I would like you to create a new user account on one of the XP computers, and then install the Version 28.8 software to see if you experience the same issues. While you complete these tasks I will be testing the Officejet 8600 on my computer running XP to see if I can reproduce the issues you and everyone else are seeing. Let me know what you find out?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

Update @ 7:49 on 1-4-13

Installed and tested on XP computer without any issues. Print and scan function perfectly using the New software and driver v 28.8.

I am an HP employee.

Tutor
vcalder
Message 56 of 94 (793 Views)

PC Wizard:
I decided to dust off my old XP laptop and try what you suggested to IDb to see if both of us end up with the same results. Using my old XP laptop, I completely uninstalled all the 8600 related software (even the help file), logged on as an anonymous user and downloaded and installed the version 28.8 software from the HP support website. Just as before, it failed at the fax/scan setup, giving me the "unable to communicate with the printer" error message, even though during the installation the program detected the printer connected via my network. Therefore, it is obviously visible on the network so I don't think there could be any router or other network problems. When I continued the installation by ignoring this error, the software finished the installation and I can open the software and view its printer interface screen. However, if I select any of the faxing or scanning options it will give me the same unable to communicate error. Next, I ran the Print & Scan Doctor. Pay attention, here because this is sort of weird. It failed at the HP Twain Scan part of the test and instructed me to unplug the printer, plug it back in then restart the computer. I did this and when the computer restarted, it came back to the Print & Scan Doctor program and allowed me to continue. It appears the Print & Scan Doctor starts over at that point. However, this second time it ran, I could hear the scanner start up. Therefore it obviously communicated with the printer. However, it stopped at Windows WIA Scan, with the comment: "Windows (WIA) Scan Error: This tool was unable to resolve the problem, even after a restart. Go to HP Customer Care for help resolving this issue. There you have it.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but when you ran your test from a XP computer, I assume you were testing with a HP 8600 printer connected wirelessly, not USB so as to exactly simulate the problems we are having? Furthermore, it is really suspicious that the Print & Scan Doctor program would give such inconclusive results as I have reported. I don't understand how it can at one attempt report a twain error (and appear to not even communicate with the printer), then on the second attempt, seem to pass the twain test (my sight and sound experience that the scanner was being activated), yet fail the Windows WIA test. This suggests to me that maybe there are multiple software bugs in interfacing with Windows XP.
Provost
pcwizard
Message 57 of 94 (789 Views)

Hi vcalder, 

Yes, the test I ran was on a XP Pro OS connected wirelessly to my Cisco Linksys router using WEP encryption. There were no issues using the printer on XP for print or scan. At this point I don't think this is a network related issue. I am more leaning toward the operating system and the installer crashing for some reason in turn not allowing you to properly install the printer completely. My guess at this junction is if you tried installing this printer on a different computer running XP you would not see the same experience you are seeing on your old XP computers operating system. I was hoping that a new clean user account would allow you to get past whatever in the operating system is causing the printer installation to fail. The driver has been tested and verified that is works correctly, so this just leaves the operating system contributing to the printer installation failure. The only thing I can suggest at this point would be to try installing on a different XP computer or save your data on your computer, and then run a full system recovery before attempting to reinstall the printer on the computer. 

I am an HP employee.

Tutor
groe
Message 58 of 94 (769 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having similar problems with Windows 8 and latest software.  If I restart the PC and the printer, everything will work fine for about 15 minutes (printer asleep or not).  However, after approximately 15 minutes both printing and scanning will give a communications error.  The print and scan diagnostice will run the print test but fail on printing the test page.  The Scan test will fail with a communications error.  Even in this condition I can connect to the printers web page by entering the printers IP into the URL of a browser. The only way to recover is to restart the pc.

I uninstalled everything HP related including registry entries and drivers.  I then added the printer through Windows 8 using the built in driver.  Of course there is no built in scan driver but the printer now works fine and there are no communications errors.  Even the print and scan diagnostic will pass the print test including the test page.

This all leads me to believe there is no network issue (connected to router via cable with static IP and wireless turned off) and no router issue.  The problem can only be with the HP software.

After I get some much needed sleep, I will try installing the Basic HP software and see what happens.  If this works, I will uninstall and reinstall the Full software.

HP support wants to send me a refurbished printer to replace my band new printer since they are sure it is a hardware issue.

Should the problem still exist after the reinstall of the Full software, I will give support one more chance and then opt for a refund.  My still working K___k printer had no such issues with the software.

UPDATE:  After the printer worked perfectly with the Windows 8 built in driver for a full day I went on to the next step.  I deleted the printer from devices and printers, rebooted and then installed the Basic software package.  This also worked fine for about 5 hours which is far better than before.  I will now uninstall using Revo Uninstaller which will find about 4000 registry entries to remove and then install the full software package.  By the way, does anyone really know the differance between Basic and Full.  All my functions seemed to be there except OCR, Help, Bing Bar, Feedback thing and the HP update.  This does not account for about at least 50 mb of stuff in the Full package.  I will update after a day of success (or failure) of the Full.

UPDATE:  Have reinstalled  Full software.  The only thing that I did that was different was that I entered the printer's IP address rather than having the setup do the search.  Everything has been running fine all day.

I also uninstalled Bonjour that was installed by my old printer.  One thing that I noticed immediately was the Scan to computer popup used to appear after a boot and not go away when I was having the issues.  Now it does not appear but the function does work.

IDb Top Student
Top Student
IDb
Message 59 of 94 (754 Views)

Thanks for trying this on your XP.

The scan doctor doesn't really make sense to me to  run.  If I am having intermittent communication issues, then the scan utility will have the same intermittent communication issues.  And it does.  So sometimes it stops at the driver test, sometimes at the WIA, sometimes at the Twain, and sometimes it makes it all the way through.  So I'm not sure what you can glean from this.

I do have an update though.  

Since your suggestion of installing the latest software 28.8, I have noticed quite a bit of improvement on the losing scan communication in the system tray.  The failed communication icon does not come up near as often.  The fax manager and fax wizard are also improved.  I don't have to retry as much as I used to to be successful.  So I do believe there was an improvement with the latest software with regards to this.

Did you try both the Fax Setup Wizard and the Manage Fax Settings?  Also did you try them after starting up a few other applications (IE or MSWord)?  I have a feeling that if the XP has some 'housekeeping' to do, it will fail for you on the Manage Fax Settings.  Please let me know what you find.

I don't agree with you about the install failing somehow on mine OR vcalder's XP.  If there was an install issue, wouldn't the installer come up with an error message?  And especially for me, I  can eventaully get everything to work with enough retrys.  If there was an install problem, it doesn't make sense to me that I should be able to get it to work at all.

Tutor
groe
Message 60 of 94 (743 Views)

Here are the steps that I used in Windows 8 to get it to work.

Uninstall everything HP using something like the free Revo Uninstaller which gets ALL the registry entries and files.  I also uninstalled Bonjour which was installed from something else.

Reboot

Windows 8 had a built in driver that would make the printer work.  I just had to do an add printer after the uninstall.  If XP has a built in driver for the printer (no scan or fax), it will tell you if there is a harware issue.

If that works, delete the printer in XP.

Reinstall the 28.8 full software (or even the basic) and during the install enter the printer IP address when prompted to do a search.  In my case I set my router to give the printer a static IP address.  The printer itself can be set to a static address from the front panel.

It worked for me, milage may vary.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation