Question

Honor Student
Zug1046
Message 1 of 9 (2,046 Views)

Scanner does not connect w/wireless

Officejet 6500A Plus wireless

Win7 32-bit Starter

Toshiba Netbook NB 305

The netbook connects with the printer, I can print without a problem. But the machine does not connect to the scanner, I constantly get the message "scanner communication cannot be established"

I ran the hp scan diagnostic utility, removed and reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled the wireless connection, i.e. I did everything recommended. I then tried to use as per hp recommendation  Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Paint and and Windows Fax & Scanners, all with the same result, i.e. nothing, there is no connection.

However, on another laptop (Dell M1210, Vista), the scanner works just fine.

Any advice on how the get the scanner working on the Toshiba Netbook would be appreciated.

mhv Honor Student
Honor Student
mhv
Message 2 of 9 (2,021 Views)

Re: Scanner does not connect w/wireless

[ Edited ]

Common problem.  Printer goes itno hibernation and will not come out with scanner communication capability.  Printing is fine; however, scanning needs to be reestablished by turning printer off and back on.  HP has no solution.  Not a Windows problem.  Total HP issue that remains unresolved on its end.

Honor Student
Zug1046
Message 3 of 9 (2,007 Views)

I appreciate mhv's response and did what was suggested, i.e. I turned the printer off and on again, yet the netbook still does not connect. I continue to get the message "Scan to computer is not activated - Communication cannot be established with the printer" When I click on "Activate", it goes to 4%, then stops and the above message comes up. I did not try again to use the alternate options with  Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Paint and and Windows Fax & Scanners because when the computer does not connect with the hp activate option, it will not work with any of the alternates either.

I am puzzled by the fact that the scanner works just fine with the Dell M1210 whether the printer is dormant or awake. Therefore, there has to be another explanation for this mystery.

Does anybody have any idea what I am dealing with here?

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 4 of 9 (1,953 Views)

Have you checked the firewall settings? It may not be the cause in this case, but it very well could be. A firewall can block specific communication to a device. Those settings would be specific to your security software, for example Norton 360, Avast, AVG, McAfee, etc.....allowing this process and connectivity in your program(s) may help. It could be something else, but that is where I would start if it was my setup at home.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Student
glider-pilot
Message 5 of 9 (1,581 Views)

This is not a firewall issue, its an HP issue, I have an HP pavilion lap-top which will print no problem to my HP photo smart printer but when I try to use the scanner HP solution centre says its disconnected.

If the printer runs out of paper it reports it on screen so there is bi-directional comms but it still won't scan.

My HP Wifi mouse work fine most of the time but occasionally it won,t connct to my lap-top after the computer has been woken up. The mouse usually comes back after turning it off and back on but the scanner is more of a pain as it sometimes requires multiple reboots asn re starts before it gets its act together.

When it works it works fine but what a pain when it doesn't.

Come on HP get it sorted.

Honor Student
AAKTAS
Message 6 of 9 (1,073 Views)

Hi All,

Just to let you know I had exactly same issue and I did all necessary process but at the end nothing changed. I cant understand if my computer can see the printer and even can print the test file but same machine cant scan because it says computer could not found the scanner. 

Scanner and printer is on the same machine!!! How computer see the printer and doesnt see the scaner. I meen this is not logic. Come on HP do something on this. This is not normal.

It happen before too and i did everything need to be done nothing changed. and in 2-3 day suddenly it worked which i didnt  do anything. incredeble product!!!

Retired
Advance23
Message 7 of 9 (1,057 Views)

Hi All,

I understand that you are having an issue with the scanner not connecting with the computer wireless. I will do my best to help you resolve this issue. Could you please follow the steps in this document for In Windows 'An error occurred while communicating with scanning device' Message Displays When Scanni.... I am also including this document for A 'No Computer Detected' or 'Connection Error' Message Displays during Scanning which goes into detail about services and firewalls.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
AAKTAS
Message 8 of 9 (1,039 Views)

Hi All,

I have done below process in my iMAC and scan worked.

*** HP Photosmart Studio => Devices=>Information and Settings=>Setup Assistant=>Continue=>.... configure the device

I dont know why i need to register my device to my computer again? Because scan and printer was working before and i was already registered my device to my computer. So i really didnt understand why ...? Any way it worked.

Have a nice day

A.AKTAS

Retired
Advance23
Message 9 of 9 (1,030 Views)

Hi AAKTAS,

I am glad to hear that you are connected and scanning again.

Feel free to contact me should you need any help again.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation