Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@nitrocpl wrote:

I fixed it!  I fixed it!  I've had the same 'no scanning, no copying' on my HP Officejet 4500 for a long time. I'm not sure what I did to fix it. (sorry) I took the printer apart. Removed just 6 screws and was able to access the 'bulb area'. I thought the problem was that the printer did not sense enough heat from the bulb, preventing copying & scanning. I removed the ribbon connector from the under the control panel, you know, the panel with the numbers, etc. I felt that the ribbon was loose.  Anyway, I pulled the ribbon from the console and then re-inserted it.  Without putting the printer back together, I scanned and printed a document. It worked. I put the printer back together and now I can copy & print. (I don't fax)  Good luck.

@nitrocpl
Thanks for your useful post...it put me on the right track. In my case the problem wasn't the ribbon under the control panel but the one to the rear which is connected directly scanner bed. Just pulled it out and pushed it back in and voilà...it works!

Also, in addition to the 6 screws around the perimeter of the scanner bed, there's one behind the print cartridge door, just to the right of the control panel.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

My OfficeJet 4500 started giving me the "Scanner Failure: Can not copy, scan or FAX" message, even though it printed perfectly.

I too first tried all of the unplugging issues with no luck.  reading the above post, I decided to take mine apart to see if I could see anything obvious. 

To get it apart, there are SEVEN screws that need to be removed.  SIX are silver and are removed from the top with the scanner lid open.  FOUR are at the corners of the scan bed.  TWO others are harder to see, they are back by the hinges for the lid and are also removed from the top with the scanner lid open.  These SIX screws are all star pattern heads, so you will need a Torx screw driver.

After these six screws are removed, remove one black Torx screw that is visible once you open the print cartridge access door.  It is at the top, just to the right of the control panel.

Once these screws are out, you can carefully remove the entire top of the printer/scanner, starting at the right side first.

Be careful as you lift the top off not to lift too high as you may disconnect the two attaching ribbon cables.  I found that both of my ribbons cables were secure, so I knew that was not my problem.

I then seperated the scan mechanism from the just removed top half of the scanner.  This is done by unclipping several small plastic clips along the front side of the just removed top assembly. 

I did not have to completely seperate these two pieces.  All I was trying to do was seperate them enough so that I could reach in and access moving scan mechanism.  Once I could reach the internal moving scan head, I was able to simply lift it out of it's track, spin the gears a little and then put the scan head back in it's track.

After putting the scanner/printer back together, the scan head (which had previously been stuck all the way to the right), was now moving freely!  My error message went away and my OfficeJet 4500 now scans, copies & FAXes perfectly.

I believe that the scan head simply got stuck somehow and by taking it apart, moving the gears and putting it back together, I freed it up.

Hope this helps someone else!

HP Recommended

i have problem with the copy and scanner / scanner failure

HP Recommended

scanner failure

HP Recommended
I have a officejet 4500 desktop G510a, that says scanner failure on the printer. It will print from the computer but will not copy or scan(don't use fax). I have done everything that was recommended and nothing works!! The printer was purchased during this tax season-so it's not that old. What else can I do? I have turned off the printer, disconnected it from the computer, uninstalled the printer(twice), disconnected the powder supply and shut down the computer. Any suggestions
HP Recommended

My Officejet 4500 used to copy. Now it won't. I did a test & got 4 brackets & 3 colored bars. Big deal. Does this mean I should go buy an Epson?

HP Recommended

My HP Office Jet 4500 won't make black & white copies. Cartridge is full. Prints from my desk top but no luck with copier

HP Recommended

@bluefalcon wrote:

@nitrocpl wrote:

I fixed it!  I fixed it!  I've had the same 'no scanning, no copying' on my HP Officejet 4500 for a long time. I'm not sure what I did to fix it. (sorry) I took the printer apart. Removed just 6 screws and was able to access the 'bulb area'. I thought the problem was that the printer did not sense enough heat from the bulb, preventing copying & scanning. I removed the ribbon connector from the under the control panel, you know, the panel with the numbers, etc. I felt that the ribbon was loose.  Anyway, I pulled the ribbon from the console and then re-inserted it.  Without putting the printer back together, I scanned and printed a document. It worked. I put the printer back together and now I can copy & print. (I don't fax)  Good luck.

@nitrocpl
Thanks for your useful post...it put me on the right track. In my case the problem wasn't the ribbon under the control panel but the one to the rear which is connected directly scanner bed. Just pulled it out and pushed it back in and voilà...it works!

Also, in addition to the 6 screws around the perimeter of the scanner bed, there's one behind the print cartridge door, just to the right of the control panel.

Thanks again!

As stated above, I fixed mine too! Had to seperate the glass top from the scanner bed by removing another screw under the name plate (pry the name plate [HP 4500] off) and remove the last torx screw, total of 8. There are 3 plastic clips up front (if I recall) of the scanner bed. Remove the control panel, do not disconnect the ribbon cable and carefully press on the plastic clips to release the glass from the scanner bed. Now lift the scanner bar out of the track, it will be stuck to the right, spin all the gears, the motor will not turn and replace the bar to the far right. Just place the glass back on top of the scanner bed, do not replace screws yet. Replace the control panel, front side first, and set the scanner bed back on the printer base. Now power up the printer and the scanner bar should move to the LEFT. This is where it belongs when the printer is turned on. If it works, replace all the 8 screws, name plate and you should be OK. I suggest leaving the printer powered up, for when you shut it off, the scanner bar will go to the far right and might get stuck again... All my ribbon cables were in tact. Remember, this is a POS plastic wonder, be gentle, do not force anything. HP, you should be ashamed of manufacturing such a POS! I retired as an engineer at HP, 21 years and I'm ashamed at the lack of quality!!!!!! Not like the old days HP...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.