Scanner software can't find 8500 A909g scanner (6539 Views)
Honor Student
Etude
Message 1 of 6 (6,539 Views)

Scanner software can't find 8500 A909g scanner

[ Edited ]

Hello:

I recently purchased an Officejet 8500 all-in-oneI had some misgivings due to a few bad reviewsAfter installing it, I was fairly happyThen the problems startedFirst, the printer disappeared and the "add device" software would not see itAfter I got that working again, had a couple of failures receiving faxesEventually, I was able to.

Scanning documents from the printer to network folders works wellI tried to scan pictures via this method but a 5 x 4 is actually scanned as if it was 8 1/2 x 4 and I have to crop every photoI then decided to scan from the PC via the HP Solution Center (or any software that will let me, i.e. Paintshop Pro) while the photo was on the glassThe scanning module (C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpiscnapp.exe) would flicker endlessly and I could not get to the menu choices or select a photo area.

I found a solution that involved setting the desktop fonts from 120 dpi to 96 dpiThat stopped the problem but then the scanner software reports error 8,[(1, 0, -2147221494)] and states that the scanner can't be foundI've rebooted both printer and/or PC numerous times to no availBesides turning the printer completely off, I've performed a "#" & "6" while plugging the power chord back inNothingI've looked for a solution but can't find anything specificHas anyone experienced this and do you have a solution

Thanks.

Etude.

XP SP2 via Linksys router to Officejet wireless

Message Edited by Etude on 11-13-2009 04:22 AM
Honor Student
SnowAllergy
Message 2 of 6 (6,522 Views)

Re: Scanner software can't find 8500 A909g scanner

I have an HP 1350 All in one (all in one PITA). It does the same thing. I can scan if I go press the scan button. But I can't work with the document that way. I tried everything. I don't think I'll buy another HP.
Teacher
scandroid
Message 3 of 6 (6,498 Views)

Etude,

Are you connected through USB, wired ethernet, or wireless?

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
Student
MalcolmE
Message 4 of 6 (4,628 Views)

I have somewhat the same issue. I have an 8500 A909g All-in-one.  connected via wired ethernet.  Randomly the scanner and sometimes the printer both "disappear".  I have to reinstall them to see them again in ANY application?  HElp

Student
Tnadz
Message 5 of 6 (4,351 Views)

I have had very similar issues to Etude though with some twists.  I had installed the 8500 a909g just fine and have had it on both my Asus G73J laptop and my wife's HP DX7 Pavilion laptop.  Then I noticed issues on mine.  It's possible this started after I uninstalled the Customer Satisfaction program from my windows un/installer list as that's the last thing I can think of doing HP software related prior to the problems.  But basically, I keep getting the same message stating that the imaging device can't be found.  I've tried reinstalling the software dozens of times.  I've tried running the scrubber utility all the way to the 4th level.  I've tried resetting the all-in-one via the #6 method.  I've tried resetting the router, turning the printer off, tons of restarts and always the same thing.  I even removed every single HP related program and folder I could find on the computer in program files (x86), User, and Windows.  I've also run each of the updates, even the vista->win 7 fix and tested each with no success.  I've even tried rolling back the driver to an earlier version, tried chaging it to other versions (BT and even other models) yet nothing changes.

Basically the only thing I haven't tried is removing registry keys, but I don't want to go crazy in there without knowing exactly where to look.  The best part is, I can print perfectly fine, and I can scan using windows scanner and fax view perfectly.  And even when I do a reboot of the scanner and computer and change the driver, I can see my computer name as a scan-to computer on the scanner.  But when I try to scan via the scanner, it won't go any further than the PC name (typically it will show various file format options like jpeg, tiff, etc but I don't get that option here).

The software I'm using is the most recent download from HP, the Full suite/driver ver 13 (NOT basic). Running Win7 64 bit on ASUS G73JH-A3.  I did not previously have Vista on this machine.

I hope someone has an answer as I've seen this problem occur for several others without a solution.  I've always held HP in high regard, but now I'm wondering.  I've only bought HP for our business and seem to always encounter issues like this one, though typically more mild, and some of the hardware HP releases I've noticed lack integrity.  I could go on at length, but the bottom line is, if I can't get this thing figured out, I'll likely stop supporting HP and advise others to do so as well...

Student
BSA_helpdesk
Message 6 of 6 (2,294 Views)

Does HP have an answer for this or not? We have multiple locations using the 8500 series printers and this issue is popping up frequently lately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation