Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Deskjet F4500
macOS 10.12 Sierra

The scan function of my printer has stopped working wirelessly.

It will print wirelessly, and scan if connected to my Mac with a USB cable (plus the Copy function on the printer works so the scan function is working normally) but it will not scan wirelessly.

It was working up until a few weeks ago but now when I press the 'Open Scanner' button the Scanner window opens but it just says it's 'Waiting for scanner...' - forever!

I have tried re-starting both the printer and the Mac, updating the printer driver, uninstalling the printer from my Printer list and re-installing, and even installing the latest Mac OS (Sierra - it was working ok with El Capitan but then just stopped).

It obviously isn't a wireless connection problem otherwise the printer wouldn't work wirelessly, and it's not a scanner problem or it wouldn't work when connected by USB. It seems very wierd to me- I have never encountered this problem before.

...can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Generally scanning is a lot more complex communication than  printing, therefore netowrk issues may only affect scanning.

When you press the plus button under System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, do you see the printer listed as Bonjour as expected?

Try following any remaining steps in here, these may help too:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-F4500-All-in-One-Printer-series/3944755/model/3944756...

If the issue remain, scanning from Windows would be a good test, to deny any multicasting issue which will only affect Mac.

Parallels, as a virtual OS provide Shared Networking by its default configuration, meaning your VM establishes its own subnet and gateway, meaning this is virtually a different network than your standard one.

You may find more about its networking capabilities detailed below:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4948

I suggest trying to set a Bridged Ethernet or WiFi mode, meaning the virtual OS is a part of your standard network envoirnment, meaning it will have the same subet and gateway as your Mac, then it should allow communicating with the printer through the local network as it should.

You may try following these steps and check if these may help changing your VM network settings:

https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22251.htm

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please use ShlomiL's  option on the following post:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Hp-easy-scan-not-working-after-Mac-Sierra-u...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt reply. I went to the post by as you suggested but the fix didn't work - besides this seems specifically aimed towards the problem occuring after installing Mac OSX Sierra - my problem started while I was still using El Capitan - I only installed Sierra in the hope this would fix it

Also just for info the link for downloading the latest version of Easy Scan in the post didn't work - it opens a webpage with the message 'Not Found' ...so I got the latest Easy Scan app from the Apple App Store

Anyway I downloaded the latest drivers and uninstalled Easy Scan as the post instructed then re-installed the app but it still doesn't work - after opening it just sits there waiting for the scanner to respond, the same as it did with the Apple Scan app (I only installed Easy Scan today in the hope it might fix the problem but it's just the same as the Apple app - it just sits waiting for the scanner to respond)

Any more ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, I thought your post indicated you are using macOS 10.12 Sierra.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks. Maybe I didn't explain it enough in my original post.

I am using Sierra now but was using El Capitan when the problem first occured.

I only installed Sierra in the hope it would fix the problem

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for posting back. Sorry, I'm not an Apple fan. I will let ShlomiL and others know and the will check this out for you.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thanks heaps - I really appreciated it

HP Recommended

Hi @loosbroos,

Please try performing a full restart scycale to all your device, I can see you have restarted your printer and your Mac, a roueter restart might by crucial in here..

Uplug your router power for a few seconds, replug it and allow it 3 -5 ,omites to initialize till you can access the internet again.

Now reboot both the printer and the Mac and try scannomg from Image Capture again.

If the same persists, may you had any metwork structure change lately?

Such as a new router, firmware upgrade to your router, etc.

May you moved your printer to another location in your home? how far is it approx. located from your router?

What is your router brand and model?

Please let me know how it goes, for any issues let me know the indormation above.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Hi Shiomi
Thanks for the info - I will try that tonight when I get home.
I've had problems before with complete wireless connection failure & restarting the router fixed it but I thought that because the printer works ok wirelessly it couldn't be a router problem.
Get back to you tonight
HP Recommended
Sorry - 'ShlomiL'
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.