Scanning Documents (634 Views)
Top Student
lvcabbie
Message 1 of 4 (634 Views)

Scanning Documents

I have a Compaq PC using Vista Home with an HP f4180 printer.

My problem is that I cannot figure out how to scan a document to a form where I can edit and work wirh it.

I have 50 pages of documents I typed many years ago that I've tried to scan. As they are black and white, they were created as gif files. I tried then copying them to Adobe Reader and was told I needed 8.0 in order to revise anything on the pdf document.

I then copies them to my MSWord document and still cannot revise them. The same happened when I copies to Wordpad.

Please! Help. What do I need to do to get them into a workable format?

Master's Graduate
Miles
Message 2 of 4 (626 Views)

Re: Scanning Documents

Hello,

You're going to have to use OCR (optical character recognition) software in order to get editable text. I don't believe your product ships with OCR, but I only did a quick check so you might want to check that out. If it doesn't, then you need to get software that does OCR like ReadIRIS. If your product does have OCR built in, then you need to find the OCR option when you're scanning documents.

Miles
HP Employee
Top Student
lvcabbie
Message 3 of 4 (616 Views)

You're correct! My HP solutions scan section shows "No OCR".

As I;m retired and living on a fixed income, do you have any suggestions for free OCR software?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Student
JRED
Message 4 of 4 (349 Views)

Sanning to a place/program to edit scan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation