Scanning Legal Size Documents (25536 Views)
Honor Student
jhamm39
Message 1 of 14 (25,536 Views)

Scanning Legal Size Documents

I'm  unable to copy/scan legal size (8 1/2 x 14) documents on my HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One.   Per the user guide, this machine is suppose to print/scan legal size documents. However, when I put an original legal size document in the ADF (automatic document feeder) only the 8 1/2 x 11 portion of the document prints ... the rest is cut off.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? The HP support team has tried to help me a few times unsuccessfully.  
Thanks for any sugguestions.

jhamm39

Teacher
WayneZ
Message 2 of 14 (25,530 Views)

Re: Scanning Legal Size Documents

I'm having the same problem with my HP Office Jet Pro L7555 so I am tagging along with your post to find out if anyone has a solution.  Thanks!
"Any time you have the opportunity to make a difference in this world, and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth." - Roberto Clemente
Master's Graduate
kikokixz
Message 3 of 14 (25,513 Views)

hi,

Check the copy menu settings of your printer.

*press copy menu button on the control panel of your printer

*scroll and select size then press ok

*select fit to page then press ok!

*also check the paper size submenu of the copy menu...it should be set to legal

let me know if that would work. :smileyhappy:

Kiko
Teacher
WayneZ
Message 4 of 14 (25,443 Views)

Thanks for the reply but  Ido not have a "fit to page" button from the copy menu.  I reset it to lega size but it still scans to letter size.  My HP Solutions Center software is not workign properly with the scan or any function nnow and it does not let me resize the paper when doing a manual scan via hpqscnvw.exe that I shortcutted to my desktop to be able to scan by bypassing the HP Solutions Center Software.  I have the feelign the incompatibility issues between Windows Vista and HP Solutions Center Software is creating the problem.  HP admitted to me today with a number of representatives that there is a compatibility issue with their software and Windows Vista that they are working on correcting.  So as normal with this HP product, I can't fully use it for its purpose.  Thanks for the feedback though. 
"Any time you have the opportunity to make a difference in this world, and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth." - Roberto Clemente
Honor Student
jhamm39
Message 5 of 14 (25,309 Views)

Thanks, but this doesn't work either.   And since communicating with HP several times with no results, I've just given up.

Student
Bonnie_
Message 6 of 14 (25,085 Views)

Here's how I got it to work.  I'm a Mac user so your interface to the HP might be a little different.

Under the Applications folder, choose Hewlett-Packard

Choose HP Scan Pro

Push document into feeder tray on printer.

Press “New Scan” on HP Scan Pro Page

A message will come up:  “Error.  The Automatic Document Feeder is engaged. Select the Destination and press Accept.”

Hit OK

Under Destination (top right of panel) select “PDF to Preview” and press “Accept” button.

The document will feed in and a .pdf file will be created in legal length form.  It will be created in the Scanned Documents folder, and you can rename it to whatever you like.

Voila!

Intern
mott
Message 7 of 14 (25,050 Views)

I had those size problems with my 2320nf machine, too. Managed to do it like this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&thread.id=1624 with A4 format. Maybe this solution works with your machine and your format, too. Regards
Intern
Nickyton81
Message 8 of 14 (24,219 Views)

when scanning or copying the legal size paper, use the ADF on top of the printer not the scanner glass.
Student
grogers9
Message 9 of 14 (17,868 Views)

I have a C7280 and found this information was helpful from Kiko, and with a slight change, was able to scan my legal document to a letter size page that I could then scan scan into a PDF or fax.

*press Copy Menu button on the control panel of your printer

*scroll and select Size: Actual Size,  then press ok

*select Legal to Letter 72%, then press ok

*Put document in ADF (that is the document feeder, not on the glass)

*Press Start Copy Black

Glenn

Honor Student
SoCalGuy
Message 10 of 14 (8,991 Views)

Re: Scanning Legal Size Documents on L7500 HP Officejet Printer

There are two KEY steps:

1) Use the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) to load the original.  Do NOT place the original directly on the scan glass.

2) Use the COPY button on the Printer to SET THE PAPER SIZE TO LEGAL

Now, if you're going to COPY the Original be sure to load Legal Size paper into the paper tray and then press the COPY button.  The Original will pass from the ADF onto the glass and the copy will emerge from the printer.  Remember to load the ADF so that the desired side is facing UP when you have it in the ADF.  As it feeds it will cause that side to face downwards onto the copy glass!

If you're going to SCAN the Original, just press SCAN (either at the printer or using the desktop software).  I like to use the Scan button at the printer when using the ADF because I can be sure the feeder grabs the document properly.  The "automatic" in Automatic Document Feeder isn't flawless. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation