Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

:smileyfrustrated:Having read many posts on this forum, about similar issues, I am still none the wiser as to how to fix the problem of my scanner failing, as soon as I upgraded to Windows 10. Seems to me it is about time Windows took a serious look at the problem and fixed the bug themselves!  I have an HP Photosmart 5520 printer/scanner. The printer is working. When I open Fax and Scan, the scan will not work and I get a message telling me my printer is not connected to my computer. I have tried to resolve this by following instructions to change USB ports, unplug computer and restart, unplug USB and reinsert.

My computer is telling me that my printer/scanner is connected and functioning.

I can see the thumbnail image preview on my printer when attempting to scan to computer via the printer but I am told the same thing that there is no connection to computer. Ditto, when I scan to a photochip.

I have just installed HP Printer Install Wizard. This has also confirmed that everything is functioning correctly and the driver is correct.The Test Print worked. The scan will still not function.

I have also checked online, the compatibility of my printer to Windows 10.  It is listed.

Like so many others,  I am going round in circles here!  I am no computer whiz but I can usually find my way around problems. Will a new printer actually solve this??  I have only had this model a few months.

Needing - not too technical - help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Back Again!! Today the printer also failed for some unknown reason!!!

I uninstalled the HP Photosmart 5520 and  loaded the original CD that came with printer. It seemed as though it would not do the job but then I followed the prompts to activate the printer online. I did not have to unplug the USB cable. Just turned off the printer then restarted it. Bingo - printer and scanner now working perfectly with Windows10. No new drivers needed. TOO easy!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome back to the HP Community, @Gertie35!

I hope you are well 🙂

I am aiming to help you with the scanning issues you're facing on Windows 10, when scanning with your Photosmart 5520. To get started, try out the steps listed  below, and let me know if you can scan afterwards, and which programs or apps you are able to use or not.

If you run in to any concerns, feel free to post the issues to me and I will do my best to help.

Source: HP Printers - Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10

HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor  to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.
  • If you can scan, the issue is resolved.
  • If you cannot scan, continue to the next step.

Make sure that Windows Update is set to install updates, then restart the computer to ensure that the scan drivers download.
  1. Search Windows for change device installation, and click the Change device installation settings Control panel setting in the list of results.
  2. Select Install updates automatically from the Important updates dropdown menu.
  3. Wait five to ten minutes for the drivers to download and install on your computer.
  4. Press the power button on the printer to turn it off.
  5. Close all running programs on your computer, then restart your computer.
  6. Turn on the printer.
  7. Try to scan.

Uninstall the HP print driver and software that might cause the scanning issue.
  1. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
  2. Search Windows for uninstall a program, and then click the Uninstall a program Control Panel setting in the list of results.
  3. In the list of installed programs, click your HP printer name, and then click Uninstall or Yes to confirm the uninstall.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal.
  5. Restart the computer.

Reinstall with the full feature driver available from the HP website to restore scanning functions.
 NOTE:
As an alternative method to downloading the software, you can use the installation CD if it includes the Windows 10 driver.
  1. Turn on the printer.
  2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
  3. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.
  4. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.
  5. Use the HP Download and Install Assistant for a guided driver download and installation, or select Download only to manually open or run the driver file through your Internet browser’s download tools.

Restart the computer and your printer after reinstalling the driver to finish setting up the software in Windows.
  1. Press the power button on the printer to turn it off.
  2. Close all running programs on your computer, then restart your computer.
  3. Turn on the printer.
  4. Try to scan.

If you can’t scan from the HP software but you can print, use one of the following methods to scan from the computer in Windows 10.
  • HP Scan and Capture app: Free from the Microsoft Store, scan photos or documents using your printer or the camera on your computer or mobile device.
    Go to Installing and Using HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 10) for more information and to see if your printer is supported.
  • Windows Scan app: Use this pre-installed app to scan from most HP all-in-one printers.
    Search Windows for Scan and click the Scan app  in the list of results.

If you wish to say "thanks" for my reply to help today, click the thumbs up below, and if any of my suggestions helped reach a solution, click the "Accept as Solution" button please and thanks!Smiley Happy

happyfingerscrossed.PNG

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, Rainbow7000.

OK. I have done everything except uninstall the HP  Print driver.  I think there must be something wrong with me!! :indifferent: I could find everything on Windows7 but Windows10 is nuts.

Results from the HP Print and Scan Doctor says everything is in order. When I try a scan: "The printer is not connected to the computer" message comes up. (USB Cable)

Windows Update tells me there are no current updates.

According to Customer Help, the only driver that is recommended is Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers and that is showing as: File name. PS5520_1315-1.exe

I tried another download in case it had not installed correctly. It is definately installed.

I have just tried installing the  HP Scan and Capture App For Windows10.  At this point, I am not surprised that I am being told repeatedly, that my Outlook password is incorrect - so can't proceed with that suggestion!!!

Going away from computer to re-charge and re-think. When I can get my head around the uninstall process, I will give it  a go.

Wondering if the next Windows update will fix the problem?

HP Recommended

Back Again!! Today the printer also failed for some unknown reason!!!

I uninstalled the HP Photosmart 5520 and  loaded the original CD that came with printer. It seemed as though it would not do the job but then I followed the prompts to activate the printer online. I did not have to unplug the USB cable. Just turned off the printer then restarted it. Bingo - printer and scanner now working perfectly with Windows10. No new drivers needed. TOO easy!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.