Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Try the HP Utility Center and then select HP Support Assist.

It at least pretends to scan your computer and then shows newly Available Updates by device.

In my case I only found it to be available about 4 days ago, but it could have been available a few months ago.

HP Recommended

I already used it and came up with bupkis for my printer/scanner.  Hoping it is in the works for some time in the future.

HP Recommended

Hi @Curmudgeon10,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this alternative Scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Check out this relevant resource to scan multiple photos with autocrop:

Scan multiple photos with Auto Crop

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the message.  I downloaded the software and now have back the capability that I lost two years ago when I was an early poster on this thread.

Wouldn't it have been wonderful if HP had posted some time ago that they were working to restore this autocrop feature and users could expect to see it within x months, etc.?  And then when it was availalble, everyone who runs HP Support Assistant got a message via that ap that this was now available?  I guess I am dreaming.

It sure would have been nice to have this feature --- or know that it was about to be issued --- a few months ago.  In anticipation of our move next year, I just completed a scan of about 500 family photos using the old crop and select method.

HP Recommended

Hi @Curmudgeon10,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Hope you can continue using the software to scan more stuff 🙂

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended
@greenturtle
Does your new solution work for previous operating systems such as Windows 7 which was still in common use when this thread started?
HP Recommended

HI @finchhawk

Yes, the HP Scan Extended works for Win 7.

However, depending on the age of the printer,  the software may not work with older printers.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Using HP Envy 7640 Windows 10 pro. Installed the extended add on. Tried a scan with 5 pictures on black paper. Four of the five photos where off the scanned area. The last on was in the middle and scanned that picture complete. Saved this photo as a seperate scan.

The next scan of different multiple photos on one page did not. Have not been able get the multiple photo scan to work after that. There is an app named "HP Scan Extended". I am using that app.

Do we know if the HP Envy 7640 will work with the added script that I downloaded?

HP Recommended
Will extend program work with Envy 7640?
HP Recommended

Hi @kozman1

Yes, it should work with 7640.

For older printers, it's questionable but for 7640, it should.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.