Re: Strange noise when turning printer on/or and now can't use ADF or send a fax (84 Views)
Honor Student
wtt1971
Message 1 of 5 (152 Views)

Strange noise when turning printer on/or and now can't use ADF or send a fax

Hello,

My Officejet 8600 plus has been making a loud cracking noise when it's turned off or on. I haven't been concerned with it, because I thought it would be due to a firmware that was automatically updated.

Today, when I need to fax some docuements, after connecting to the destination fax number, the printer made the same cracking noise and displayed the error "Reload original in the automatic document feeder (ADF) and try again".

I cleaned the rolls and paper grabber (whatever that is called) according to some HP link in the web, to no avail. And unfortunately, the warranty already expired.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? I just can't use the printer as a fax machine.

Thanks!

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 5 (122 Views)

Re: Strange noise when turning printer on/or and now can't use ADF or send a fax

Hi wtt1971,

If you have followed the steps in the document below and the issue persists, I would suggest you try sending your fax using the flat bed. I make this suggestion not as a solution but a temporary work around to get the fax sent.

The Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) Does Not Pick Up Paper

A couple other possible solutions are as follows, check to ensure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet and not into a surge protector/power bar. Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

In this document you will see,

ISSUE:

Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector

This is not limited to Laserjet printers.

Check your current Firmware version, post your firmware version and model number back to me and I will check to see if there is an updated version.

1. From the Control panel, press Help (?) button, select Printer Information

2. Use the down arrow button to scroll to the 2nd screen

3. The current firmware revision will appear on the screen

I hope this is helpful. I look forward to hearing from you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the left to say thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
wtt1971
Message 3 of 5 (97 Views)

Re: Strange noise when turning printer on/or and now can't use ADF or send a fax

Hi, 

I tried both suggestiosn and none worked - my printer is already directly connected to an electric outlet.

FW version: CLP1CN1322CR.

The warranty already expired, but I'm really disapponted that an ADF is gone after 18 months of having this printer.

Thanks

Honor Student
wtt1971
Message 4 of 5 (94 Views)

As additional information, the grinding noise occurrs with only one paper sheet fed in the ADF.

I found this video at YouTube that shows the same situation I'm experiencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWhIaqklHAI

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 5 of 5 (84 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi wtt1971,

I watched that video and completely understand the issue. I checked to see if there is a newer firmware version,  but there is not. If you have completed the solutions offered in the document i previously posted, I would recommend you call HP.

The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the left to say thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation