Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I purchased this printer used and the person that I bought it from has the fax feature locked so that it cannot be used. There are many other things on the printer that are "locked by the administrator" as well and I'd like to undo all of that since I am now the administrator and owner of the printer. I have some documents I need to fax ASAP and have to send them from hom. Help would be appreciated! Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @mnpeters,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printer issue.

I understand that you purchased a used HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer that has an administrator password set up by the previous owner and you need to get past that password to be able to set up the fax, as well as other settings. I would like to help with that.

Is there any chance you know the previous owner? Getting the password from them would be the best option.

If you do not know them the only thing that might work would be to do a Semi-Full Reset on the printer. 

I will send you a PM with that reset information. If you are unsure how to check your PMs here is a post that can help - How to check your messages.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I do not think the problem has anything to do with "passwords."  My printer does not have any password protection.

Upon returning from vacation, turned on my equipment; including my HP Officejet Pro 8610 and got the the following message: "Fax Failure - unable to send or receive faxes."

I've tried everything I could to fix the problem, could not.

-Reset factory defaults - still getting the same message.

-Used Fax Setup Wizard twice, the same message.

When I go to Fax Tools on the printer and scroll down to "setup," I get the following messge: "The feature has been locked by your administrator or the person who set up the printer."  Same before and after selecting reset factory defaults and Fax Wizard.

I am the person who set up the printer (new) and the administrator.

I cannot find any place to select "lock" or "unlock" on the printer itself nor under Printer/Fax in the Control Panel of my PC.

HELP HELP

HP Recommended

Hi @markertddc,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printer settings issue.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer that is showing the a message that says "Fax Failure - unable to send or receive faxes" and when you try to go to Fax Tools on the printer's control panel it says "The feature has been locked by your administrator or the person who set up the printer". I would like to help with that.

The only place where there can be a password setup or changed would be on the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Once the EWS is open you will need to click the Settings tab at the top, the click Security on the left side. The only way it would be enabled is if someone had been to the EWS before and set it up with a password.

I would start by performing a Power Reset on the printer and then try to run the Fax Setup Wizard again.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Tried to unplug both ends of power suppliy while the computer was turned on and replugged after 8610 rebudded. Still cannot unlock fax set up. So, unit will not send or receive faxes. What's next?

HP Recommended

Checked PW Settings on EWS - Nothing there -

Then went through your suggested Power Reset - the minute the printer rebooted, same message:

Fax Failure:  Unable to send or receive faxes

Went through the Fax Setup Wizard Again - after several attempts to send fax test - same message:

Fax Failure: Unable to send or receive faxes.

Appreciate your efforts; but as the Other person with this problem indicates - what next ?????

Right now we're waiting for a form being mailed to us because we could not receive it by fax - apparently sender is taking his/her time in mailing - been waiting a week.

Dee

HP Recommended

I too am having this issue... and I need this rectified asap..... I am the administrator.. bought this printer new.... had problems with my last HP.... I may toss this one out and not buy another HP.... I have rebooted... I have done the security settings... I have pulled the power plug.... not sure what next to do.... I show that the fax is enabled under  the security tab... not sure what is going on ... very frustrated.. I NEED my fax!

Thank you

Carrie 

HP Recommended

I'm also having this issue. 

I've tried every solution I've seen posted, but am still having the same problem. Has anyone had any success? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Did you try to access the settings using the IP address.

1) Click on the wireless icon on the front of the printer

2) Obtain the IP address in the Wireless Summary

3) Type the IP address into any browser window (i.e. Google Chrome)

4) Click on the FAX menu option at the top of the screen

5) Access Settings

6) Change the setting that you need to change.

Hopefully this helps.

HP Recommended

@chuck431 wrote:

Did you try to access the settings using the IP address.

1) Click on the wireless icon on the front of the printer

2) Obtain the IP address in the Wireless Summary

3) Type the IP address into any browser window (i.e. Google Chrome)

4) Click on the FAX menu option at the top of the screen

5) Access Settings

6) Change the setting that you need to change.

Hopefully this helps.

Hi Chuck, Thanks so much for the effort.  Unfortunately this is the same information available directly on the printer or from the printer settings on the computer and there is absolutely nothing in any of this to help aleviate this problem.  Thanks again for your efforts!  Dee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.