Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP multifuntion printer and use the fax from computer option several times a month. I discovered this week that it was not working AGAIN. I have had this printer about a year and have needed to reinstall the software numerous times. When I select the fax as the printer and say "print", the fax screen should pop up asking where to send it, but nothing happens. When I check the devices and printers screen, it shows the fax machine as not connected with print job(s) pending. The machine is connected because I can print to it fine, it is just something wrong with the fax communication. I have found that uninstalling and reinstalling the printer resolves the issue, but the number of times I have needed to do this is frustrating. I suppose something is being messed up when windows does its updates. Is there a simple connection setting that I could update instead of reinstalling everything on all of my network computers? Maybe HP could add a fix option for this to their troubleshooter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may use the HP Universal Fax Driver instead:

1. Download and extract the folloiwng:
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL60874/ds-146586-1/HPUFDDriver.zip
    (Use any software as Winzip or right click the file and select Extract All).
  2. Open the extracted folder and run setup.exe
  3. Follow the steps on screen, an HP Universal Fax Driver printer will be created on your PC.
  4. Print to the HP Universal Fax Driver, select your printer and check the box to add a queue for yoru printer.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may use the HP Universal Fax Driver instead:

1. Download and extract the folloiwng:
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL60874/ds-146586-1/HPUFDDriver.zip
    (Use any software as Winzip or right click the file and select Extract All).
  2. Open the extracted folder and run setup.exe
  3. Follow the steps on screen, an HP Universal Fax Driver printer will be created on your PC.
  4. Print to the HP Universal Fax Driver, select your printer and check the box to add a queue for yoru printer.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

This worked great when I tried it then. Now, less than two weeks later, the fax was not working again. This time the universal fax driver would not connect either, even when I reinstalled it, nor did a quick install of the complete HP 8610 software. I had to uninstall everything related to this printer and reinstall, to get the computer to connect. So I guess I'm back at the beginning. Any suggestions how to keep it working or another less time-consuming option to try?

HP Recommended

Welcome @SewBernina,

Thanks for participating in the forums! I see that you are experiencing issues with the fax communication again. I would be happy to help you. 

I would suggest updating the printer's firmware first: HP OfficeJet Pro 8610/8615/8616 All-in-One Printer Firmware.

Setup a static IP for the printer: Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection. Go to Solution four: Assign your printer a static IP address under Windows.

If you are still having issues, download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. Let me know the results.

Are you still able to fax from the printer when this happens?

Feel free to click on the "Accept as Solution" and the "Thumbs Up" if this helped. Please let me know the results. Best Regards,

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am actually on a wired network, not a wireless.

I have previously set a static IP address, so that is not the issue.

Yes, I can fax directly from the machine if I print out the document, so there is not a malfunction with the actual fax feature. Also, I can print from the computer to the printer, so it is not a network issue. It seems to be some kind of communication issue from the computer to the fax that is specific to the fax feature (does not affect ability to print).

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information @SewBernina.

Make sure there aren't any firewall blocking the fax from sending.

It may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.
  • Install the printer on that account.

Let me know the results.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

What should I check in firewall settings to make sure that nothing is being blocked. (I am working on Windows 10.)

HP Recommended

Hi @SewBernina,

Temporarily turn off any Antivirus Software & Firewalls that you have on, to make sure it isn't interfering and here is a link for How to Check Windows Firewall Settings.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have had this problem since updating to Windows 10 (Windows Fax and Scan no longer works).  i am using an HP Photosmart 7520 series printer.  After reading multiple discussions and researching this for over a year, I found the answer today that is really simple:

Send a standard fax from the computer

You can send a document on your computer as a fax, without printing a copy and faxing it from the printer.

Note  

Faxes sent from your computer by this method use the printer’s fax connection, not your Internet connection or computer modem. Therefore, make sure the printer is connected to a working telephone line and that the fax function is set up and functioning correctly.

To use this feature, you must install the printer software using the installation program provided on the HP software CD provided with the printer.

Windows Directions

1. Open the document on your computer that you want to fax.
  2. On the File menu in your software application, click Print.
  3. From the Name list, select the printer that has “fax” in the name.
  4. To change settings (such as selecting to send the document as a black fax or a color fax), click the button that opens the Properties dialog box. Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.
  5. After you have changed any settings, click OK.
  6. Click Print or OK.
  7. Enter the fax number and other information for the recipient, change any further settings for the fax, and then click Send Fax. The printer begins dialing the fax number and faxing the document.

I have a windows computer.  On step 4, I did NOT find how to change the document as a black fax using Word but after step 6. I had to open the flashing icon on my task bar to get to where I could enter the fax information.  There is where I found the Settings Button to change to Black & White; change Contrast; and change Resolution.

I am finally fixed  I hope this helps all the people that asked for help but got frustrated with answers that didn't work. 

Mac OS X Directions

1. Open the document on your computer that you want to fax.
  2. From the File menu in your software application, click Print.
  3. Select the printer that has “(Fax)” in the name.
  4. Select Fax Recipients from the pop-up menu below the Orientation setting.

Note  

If you cannot find the pop-up menu, try clicking the disclosure triangle next to the Printer selection.

1. Enter the fax number and other information in the boxes provided, and then click Add to Recipients.
  2. Select the Fax Mode and any other fax options you want, and then click Send Fax Now to begin dialing the fax number and faxing the document.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.