Question

Honor Student
Flyboyjacko
Message 1 of 66 (20,158 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to scan to computer from my Officejet 6700 Premium

Hi,

I have a new Officejet 6700 Premium It is connected wireless to my hub.

I have two computers attached to it, my work computer running XP and my home computer running Windows 7. All functions operate perfectly on my work computer, however I can't get the scan function to work on my home computer. I constantly keep getting the scanner unreachable error message 'scanner communication cannot be established'.

I have been through all the diags, the HP Scan doctor finds two errors

• Windows WIA Scan
  • HP Twain scan

but offers no advice other than to reboot everything (which I have MANY MANY times).

I have turned off all my firewalls and reinstalled all the HP software and drivers.

I've now got to the stage where I am about to take it back and get another product unless someone can help me.

Thank you

Tutor
munron1
Message 2 of 66 (20,125 Views)

Re: Unable to scan to computer from my Officejet 6700 Premium

Me too!  I have tried everything too although mine is a Photosmart 6520 All in One.   I can get the scan function to work from my laptop computer (although I cannot operate from the control panel on the printer to my work laptop but I guess that might be a firewall on the work laptop which is preventing in-bound communications).  But I cannot operate the scan function from either the Home Computer or from the Printer Control panel to the Home Computer.  And I have removed the firewall from the Home Computer and so that does not seem to be the problem.  I did wonder if there might be some sort of conflict with the software that might be left behind from the previous HP Printer that we had.  I did uninstall everything from that printer but it still popped up on the WIA screen when I went through the Scan and Printer Diagnostic tool.  It is possible to operate scans from the HP Webscan functionality but I would prefer a more direct solution.

Let me know if you find a solution please!

Honor Student
Wallball
Message 3 of 66 (20,113 Views)

I have exactly the same problem using the same hardware.  The Print and Scan Doctor says I have a driver error that failed even after a re-start.  I have reinstalled all software, updated it, checked firmware, tried scanning via ethernet and wireless, tried scanning to USB drive.  The last scan to come out of it (600dpi colour to pdf file) was weird with all the colours separated and random noise at the top of each image.  Since then, all I get are comminications failure messages when trying to scan from any of the several machines on the network, or from the scanner back to any computer.

This is the second 6700 Premium I have had.  The first died an inexplicable death with a terminal message saying contact HP for help.  I hope this time will not be a repeat of the four weeks I had to wait for a resolution...

Honor Student
Flyboyjacko
Message 4 of 66 (20,086 Views)

This is also the second HP printer I've had after my previous 7600 just died on me. I've had no help from HP on this, I have no choice but to return the machine. I will not be getting another HP product that's for sure.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 5 of 66 (20,065 Views)

If you are still looking for a solution to the WIA problem, I would start by checking my WIA Services. Click on the Start menu. For Windows Vista and 7, type services.msc in the search box, and press the Enter key on your keyboard. For XP, click Run, type services.msc in the run box and click OK. Scroll down the services list until you see Windows Image Acquisition. Right-click on the service and select Stop. Right-click on the service and select Start. Make sure it's set to Automatic start. Scroll up the services list to Shell Hardware Detection. Right-click on the service and select Stop. Right-click on the service and select Start. Make sure it's set to Automatic start. Scroll up the services list to Remote Procedure Call (RPC). Right-click on the service and select Stop. Right-click on the service and select Start. Make sure it's set to Automatic start. Let me know what happens.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
munron1
Message 6 of 66 (20,060 Views)

Didn't help me with the HP Photosmart 6520 series.  Mine does not seem to detect the scan driver at all although  everything else works perfectly both wirelessly and with USB and I can even do Webscans over the computer.

Tutor
munron1
Message 7 of 66 (20,059 Views)

PS - there were two RPC options on the services menu - RPC and RPC Locator.  The first one shows Started and Automatic but does not give the option to Stop and restart.  The second one show Started and Manual and again does not seem to allow any other options.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 66 (20,059 Views)

Hmmm...Did you install the full software package or just the basic scan and print drivers? Do you have the Starter or Basic Version of Windows 7?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
munron1
Message 9 of 66 (20,054 Views)

Window 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

And I have tried Disk Installation - On line Installation - both with and without full features!  I have uninstalled reinstalled rebooted umpteen times both with and without McAfee Firewall and Security disabled.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 10 of 66 (20,054 Views)

Was the Windows firewall disabled on those attempts as well?
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation