Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
@JeffJSmith That answer was more geared toward @mbrown2104. You should be able to scan by using Paint or Windows Fax and Scan. If the software for your printer and scanner aren't available, that is the only way you can scan. The document below will walk you through how.

http://goo.gl/BcHvB
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Too bad, my C7280 is not supported. Sad.

HP Recommended

I have a printer that works with HP Scan and Capture for Windows 8 but the application cannot find it even though it is listed in devices.  The printer is HP Officejet Pro 8600.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Folks, we are working towards adding support for some previous HP devices.   But for now, the app was intented to target more recent HP devices and only with network connectivity.    We will continue to add new features and additional devices as time allows... this is a work in progress and by no means a ship and forget product.    

This is a network only application, the framework that Microsoft provides currently for USB devices in this new WIndows 8 app style environment was far to prohibitive for us to also support USB connectivity.    If things change in the future, we can revisit this but our primary objective was to support mobile scanning via network/wireless.

HP still supports the desktop scanning client on Windows 8 Pro (non RT) systems, so for folks with older devices and USB connectivity, you can still scan using HP software, or the built-in Microsoft WIA applications such as Windows Fax & Scan.

If you have a supported devices connected to your network and HP Scan and Capture is not able to see it, please provide more details and we can try to help you get that going.  There are some simple logging facilities that can be enabled that might give us more information as to what is the problem.

Thanks

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

I've got a 6500a 710a-f.  HP Scan and Capture discovers it on the network but when launching Capture Photo or Capture Document i ge the error message "device cannot be found".  HP Printer Control app works fine.  Printing from Office and other apps works fine.  I'm on Surface/RT. Fix?

HP Recommended

Do you mind capturing a log for us?  To do so, create a file in your "My Pictures" folder called hpcapture.log.   Then close HP Scan & Capture, and relaunch it and try scanning again.   It should log to that file.   Please attach that file here for us to examine.

Thanks!

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Done.  But file has no contents.

HP Recommended

Hmmm... make sure it is indeed called hpcapture.log and not hpcapture.log.txt.   And make sure you close out HP Scan and Capture completely and then re-run.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I'm running Windows RT on a Microsoft Surface device.  Would that have something to do with it?

HP Recommended

For capturing a log, no.  We have surfaces in our test lab and are able to scan, as well as capture a log file.   Is it still not creating a log file for you?   The default behavior for windows explorer is to not show a file extension, so if it's still an empty file, it's usually because it has a hidden .txt extension.

Jeremy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.