Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One
Linux

I used to have an 8500-series printer (if I remember well) which could be configured from its web interface to save to a standard network share (CIFS/Samba).

Some recent HP printers with fax capability seem to be able to save to such a share on the network but the documentation implies this would only work on a Windows system with the appropriate HP software. It seems the software only configures a standard Windows share to be accessible on the network.

Can this be configured from a GNU/Linux system (server, NAS, etc) without using Windows at all? How? Is there a naming convention for the shared resource, workgroup, etc.? I can't seem to find any references to this.

Edit: I found the steps to setup digital filing for my older printer, I am wondering if there is something similar (or the same) in the Web UI of newer printers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In the end I just installed a basic print/scan/copy printer (Envy 4500 series) which complements the USB Fax-modem + eFaxGTK nicely. The only missing feature from the older system is direct faxing from the printer (now requiring print + rescan to fax via eFaxGTK) and not having a document feeder.

Using and OfficeJet pro introduced new problems:

* Lack of history for sent faxes

* Faxing not working from the PC (I am reporting a bug about this) - the fax queue in Gnu/Linux was aways "paused"

* Faxing backend tied to HP printer (if the printer fails, no guarantee a new printer will be using the same procedures to receive faxes, etc .)

* No way to retrieve faxes in printer memory from Gnu/Linux

* Address book tied to printer, not accessible/editable/sync'ed with HPLIP's implementation

It's a pitty HPLIP has such poor faxing support for such multifunction printers 😞

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Apparently this requires a Windows PC, the HP software on it running and an open, and a logged-in session.

The web UI does not have settings for either Scan-to-PC or FAX-to-PC 😞 I tested this on a HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer.

HP Recommended

In fact upon further research saving received faxes locally can be done via network file shares which can only be configured without Windows software on the Embedded web server, sarting with OfficeJetPro 86xx series.

Lower priced/capacity printers can't do this or require WIndows software to do it. I was able to do this for Scan-to-netwrok-folder and Fax-to-network-folder on an OfficeJet Pro 8620.

HP Recommended

In the end I just installed a basic print/scan/copy printer (Envy 4500 series) which complements the USB Fax-modem + eFaxGTK nicely. The only missing feature from the older system is direct faxing from the printer (now requiring print + rescan to fax via eFaxGTK) and not having a document feeder.

Using and OfficeJet pro introduced new problems:

* Lack of history for sent faxes

* Faxing not working from the PC (I am reporting a bug about this) - the fax queue in Gnu/Linux was aways "paused"

* Faxing backend tied to HP printer (if the printer fails, no guarantee a new printer will be using the same procedures to receive faxes, etc .)

* No way to retrieve faxes in printer memory from Gnu/Linux

* Address book tied to printer, not accessible/editable/sync'ed with HPLIP's implementation

It's a pitty HPLIP has such poor faxing support for such multifunction printers 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.