Question

Honor Student
RMRCentral
Message 1 of 14 (845 Views)
Accepted Solution

When do I use the IRIS PRO that came with my 8600 instead of the built-in scan-to-text OCR?

I just purchased the 8600 Pro Premium.  I installed the HP software, which gives me an OCR option for scanning.  I also installed the second disk, IRIS PRO, which is OCR, also.  When do I use each?

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 14 (829 Views)

Re: When do I use the IRIS PRO that came with my 8600 instead of the built-in scan-to-text OCR?

I would use the OCR software that came with the printer when the formatting on the document you want to scan is simple, and use the IRIS PRO when the formatting is more complex.  You should expect some formatting distortion from both programs though.  Hope that helps.  :smileyhappy:

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
RMRCentral
Message 3 of 14 (821 Views)

Re: When do I use the IRIS PRO that came with my 8600 instead of the built-in scan-to-text OCR?

Thanks. I appreciate the solution
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 14 (819 Views)

No problem.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
RMRCentral
Message 5 of 14 (816 Views)

The solution answers my questions. Thank you.
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 14 (814 Views)

No problem, and sorry it puts the extra stuff about kudos and accepted solution on all my posts.  You can ignor it once you've seen it once, but I'm required to have it since I work for HP.  Sorry agian for the confusion.

Signature
Honor Student
kathy825
Message 7 of 14 (554 Views)

My question concerns the same situation with a twist.  I have the HP 8600 and chose the IRIS option during install. I also have IRIS Pro which I prefer to use for my scans and selected the HP8600 TWAIN client.  I have not selected the WIA-HP 8600 TWAIN.  When I choose to initiate a scan using IRIS Pro I get an error message telling me another program is in use.  My guess is that the HP Assistant is also trying to initiate the scan.  If that is the case, is there a way to stop the HP Assistant scan from starting while I am in IRIS?

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 14 (532 Views)

I'm not sure if this can be done, but I will look into it for you.  I will need some more information though.  What OS are you using?  Do you have the N911a, N911g, or N911n version of the 8600?  How are you connecting the printer to the PC?

Signature
Honor Student
kathy825
Message 9 of 14 (528 Views)

>>I'm not sure if this can be done, but I will look into it for you.  I will need some more information though.

What OS are you using?  >>

Windows 7 x64

Do you have the N911a, N911g, or N911n version of the 8600?  

N911n

How are you connecting the printer to the PC?

Over a LAN - home network -- cable modem to Linksys dual (E2500) router with wireless connection.  If it helps, I can access the EWS page.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 10 of 14 (515 Views)

I did some digging, and since the IRIS software requires TWAIN (which is an HP protocol), there is no way to turn off the HP scan.  Does the error message come up as soon as you try to use it, or does it only come up occasionally?

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation