Question

Student
Artygalvcd
Message 1 of 13 (841 Views)

Why won't my HP Officejet 6500A Plus copy?

When I try to copy a document, sometimes the printer just shows a wait signal and nothing happens. There is not any error message displayed.  The only way to make it copy is to turn it off or unplug it and then try again a few minutes later.  This usually solves it.  I have Windows XP.

Tutor
Grumpy-user
Message 2 of 13 (760 Views)

Re: Why won't my HP Officejet 6500A Plus copy?

Mine's got the same fault. There's a software update somewhere, but you need to be a nerd to install it. I'm seriously regretting buying this printer.  I reboot my printer to get round this. My next problem is a very loud squeaking noise when scanning or copying. Sounds like a small animal is dying in there.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 3 of 13 (751 Views)

Hi Grumpy-user,

Can you print a Printer Status Report and let me know the Firmware version you see on the report?  Click Here  With that information I can see if there is a firmware update for your printer.

Is the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet?  If not, can you make that change?

What is the operating system for your computer?

Is the printer connected by USB, Ethernet or wireless?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
Grumpy-user
Message 4 of 13 (735 Views)

Rich,

Thanks for your reply.

Firmware version is CIP1FN1126AR

Yes, it's plugged directly in wall power outlet

Computer has Windows 7 Pro installed

Printer connected wirelessly. Very near the hub

Hopefully this helps.

But by the noise it makes when scanning, the printer won't last much longer!

Regards

Grumpy user !

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 5 of 13 (730 Views)

Here is a link for a firmware update for the Officejet 6500A PlusClick Here  If that is not your specific printer, I will need to do further research.  Let me know the results.  

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
Grumpy-user
Message 6 of 13 (727 Views)

I've followed the instructions on the link you sent, and tried to install updates using the touch screen on the printer, but I get the message: 'No product update is available for this printer'.
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 7 of 13 (723 Views)

Can you confirm that your printer is an HP Officejet 6500A Plus?

It sounds like there is an identification conflict between which firmware is installed on your printer and what is available.  I would recommend a Semi Full Reset.  If successful, this would reset the printer to factory defaults and clear the memory.  The printer will be taken off of the wireless network.  When the printer powers back up, I would recommend that you do a USB installation.  Once you are able to send a print job to the printer from the computer you can try the download and install from the previous link using the usb connection.

If you want to give this a try, I can send the steps in a private message to your HP Forums in-box.  I would need you to agree not to publish the steps.  Let me know what you decide.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
Grumpy-user
Message 8 of 13 (719 Views)

OK, thanks, but why should I have to do this? I'm just trying to get some use out of a badly designed product.
Sorry to be so grumpy, but where is the respect for the customers these days?
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 9 of 13 (715 Views)

I don't blame you for being grumpy.  I don't like it either when something doesn't do what it is supposed to do.  I wish you weren't having troubles, but I'm willing to try and help if you decide to proceed.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
Grumpy-user
Message 10 of 13 (711 Views)

Rich,

Yes please help, what do I do next?

I can't see the "Accept as Solution" button

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation