Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
office jet pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to be able to change the scan resolution higher than 300 dpi.  I tried forums but do not see the same procedure as shown in forum.  Like to get to 1200 dpi.

thanks,

geojim

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Make sure you select Flatbed in order to scan at 1200 dpi.  Will not do it from the ADF.

HP Recommended

@geojim

Printer is restricted to 300 DPI when scanning from the printer.

Printer Website Support Driver Page:

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software:

OJ6970__Full_WebPack_1975.exe

(163.4 MB)

Printer Specifications provide information on Scan, Print, Paper Handling

If you have not done so:  

• Download and save the Full Feature Software to your computer
  • If using USB cable to connect the printer to the computer, disconnect the cable
  • Navigate to the (Downloads) folder > Double-click on the installation file to start the procedure
  • Follow the instructions
  • If using USB cable, connect the cable when instructed

After the installation is complete, Restart the computer and log in.

The installation will place the Printer Assistant shortcut icon (named for your printer) on the Desktop.

To scan at high(er) DPI - use the printer software.

Double-click on the Printer Assistant

Select Scan a Document or Photo (wording varies)

Example:  Printer_Assistant_8630_1

Printer_Assistant_8630_1.JPG

Scan software allows you to scan at higher DPI

Example: Scan_to_Photo_adjust_DPI

Scan_to_Photo_adjust_dpi.JPG

From the How-to section:

References:

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, links to how-to videos, and examples:

Scanning Program Options

Document Includes Information for:

• Know and Understand Scan DPI / Scan Resolution options
  • HP Scan Extended – Exceptional standalone scan program:  Single, Multiple scans, Auto-Crop!
  • NAPS2 -- Not another PDF Scanner
  • Printer Software (Full Feature Software)
  • HP Scan and Capture
  • And others…

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help!

Answered? Click my post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Scanning issues…  Again, make sure you select Flatbed to scan from to get the higher resolutions. 

Please try this scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

For Windows:   ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Make searchable PDF scans with this free scanning software -   https://www.naps2.com/

Let us know.

HP Recommended

Thanks, that was apparently the difference.

I had changed it but with all the uninstalls, I guess it is a default to the document feeder setting and I had failed this last attempt to switch to "flatbed".

I DO appreciate such fast help with my small problem.

CC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.