driver for scanjet hp 5400c that will work with windows 7 (4442 Views)
Honor Student
kateihaveaprobl
Message 1 of 5 (4,442 Views)

driver for scanjet hp 5400c that will work with windows 7

hi

Has any one solved the problem of getting a hp scanjet 5400c to work with windows 7 ( i am 64 bit).  i tried to run as administrator and it just said  " Sorry, scanner could not be initialized.  (Scanner not found)"

any help would be gratefully appreciated.

frustrated

kate

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 5 (4,438 Views)

Re: driver for scanjet hp 5400c that will work with windows 7

Hi Kate,

I am sorry to inform you the HP Scanjet 5400C is compatible with older operating system only, up to Windows XP.

Additionally, the product supported by 32-bit OS only of the OS, therefore I cannot think of any possible workaround by using HP Sfoftware.

The only possible workaround may be to use any 3rd party software.

The VueScan as example should support this model and support 64-bit envoirnment as well.

You may find additional information below:

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scanjet_5400.html

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
kateihaveaprobl
Message 3 of 5 (4,434 Views)

Hi,

i have tried the third party software and still the computer does not see the scanner. 

The computer makes a lovely noise when i plug in or uplug the scanner. 

however it can not be inialised and both HP and VueScan say they cannot see the scanner. 

very disspointing as i am sure i am not alone.

i will use the camera on my iphone and email pictures of documents to my self now.  Pity that i will not retrieve the 4 hours of my life to solve this problem.

thanks anyway

more frustrated

kate

Student
CSL4
Message 4 of 5 (4,354 Views)

Like a lot of people I have expended WAY too many hours on this problem to no avail. I keep my old laptop which I upgraded to W7 32 bit just for the 5400c scanner which is real nice piece of hardware. So it is the 64 bit that is the problem, not the windoes Vista or 7. 

But, like  a lot of people I will NEVER buy HP again. An additional reason is that they don't let you refill your printer cartridges. Rasberries to them!

Student
Elizabeth100
Message 5 of 5 (446 Views)

I know that the last post was 2 years ago. But, I received this scanner from a friend. (lol) Anyway, I have an old 32 bit W7 computer. Am I understanding that if my computer is 32 bit, it will work with the 3rd party driver?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation