Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I print, copy and/or scan on my officeject 6500 wireless I get a black line down the page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

While I wait for your response I'll post the most likely cause:

Lift the lid.  Now lift the document feeder lid, it opens to the left. You'll see the feeder mech, you want to lift that to the left as well, it will raise 2 inches or so. See that section of glass underneather it? Clean it. Really good. 

Then you see the white piece of plastic above the glass, clean that really good too.

If it's a perfectly vertical line it's probably caused by some dirt in there, what happens is the scanner bulb sits in one place, the paper is then dragged over the same spot. If there's a speck of dust there, it covers the whole page, top to bottom. You clean the white piece because there could be dirt on there, then when the bulb shines through the paper, it's reflecting back as a dark spot.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

That's really odd, it should be doing it on all three unless there are multiple issues.

Are the line's horizontal or vertical (when the paper is portrait, not landscape)?

Are they in the same spot every time?

When you copy is there more than one line?

When you print is there more than one line?

When you scan is there more than one line?

HP Recommended

It is portrait and one vertical line all the way down the paper

HP Recommended

does it happen only through the doc feeder or do scans from the flatbed do it as well?

HP Recommended

While I wait for your response I'll post the most likely cause:

Lift the lid.  Now lift the document feeder lid, it opens to the left. You'll see the feeder mech, you want to lift that to the left as well, it will raise 2 inches or so. See that section of glass underneather it? Clean it. Really good. 

Then you see the white piece of plastic above the glass, clean that really good too.

If it's a perfectly vertical line it's probably caused by some dirt in there, what happens is the scanner bulb sits in one place, the paper is then dragged over the same spot. If there's a speck of dust there, it covers the whole page, top to bottom. You clean the white piece because there could be dirt on there, then when the bulb shines through the paper, it's reflecting back as a dark spot.

HP Recommended

Only when I use the feeder.  I lifted up all of the covers and cleaned the entire glass with a soft dry cloth and it still makes the line.

HP Recommended

If it's only the feeder then there is definitely something there. Might not be something you are able to get (might be dust trapped under the glass, or a nick in the glass.

HP Recommended

I tried again today with a damp cloth and finally the line is gone.  Thanks so much for the help.

HP Recommended

the lines are just thru the feeder

HP Recommended

just thru feeder

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.