Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Trying to scan to PC, get message scan error. Also says  - try scan from computer or see documentation. What does scan from computer mean?. No documentation on error, Will soon send this back to Best Buy and get something else unless I get a very simple answer and don't tell me to uninstall and reinstall again. That caused enoough problems the first time.

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

You know, I do not need all that extra hp-ware to be installed. I want the Basic OS supported features, but including scanning. And all of it working out of the box. If I cannot get network scanning to work, it goes back into the box and back to Best Buy.

Printing from the iPhone works great, but I needed foremost a scanner that I do not have to put right next to my laptop.

HP Recommended

did you ever get an answer?  I am having the same problem and I just purchased this machine

HP Recommended

Anyone???  I'm having the same error!

HP Recommended

Found the answer.  It means just what it says.  Scan from the computer. Put your paper to scan in place, go to your computer, open the control panel, click on divices and printers, choose your printer (mine had a seperate scanner with an Explaination point on it...I chose that one and it worked).  Just follow the directions from there to scan your image.  You can do it all from your computer.  For me I choose for it to scan to the computer as a pdf file so I could email it and it worked great!  It scanned it and saved it to my computer where I was able to pull it up from an email and send it off as an attachement. 

Guess you'll just have to do it from the computer and not from the printer.  Worked for me.  Hope it works for you.

HP Recommended

Ok...you state "Just follow the directions from there to scan your image."....

what directions? when you open the printer folder, and chosse your printer, there are no directions. where do you access SCAN from?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

so i've found that if your printer is already added as a device, add it again and another will pop up and i believe this is the scanner because now i can scan from the printer.  another device shows....... big deal. it works.

HP Recommended

my Photosmart D110 will not scan to my imac. Scanner says try scan from computer or see documentation.

HP Recommended

D110 went wireless now shows not connected to pc, control panel shows it is, cannot scan to pc

HP Recommended

Had same problem...wireless, worked great except scan. Got error. After re-installing twice, as well as up-date firmware on printer. Seems that d110 software was old/not compatible with my laptop OS(Win.7).

Simply click start, all programs, Open windows "fax and scan"...click new scan...and go to town! Hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.