02-23-2009 12:59 PM
I have a 4100 and in the help files I am supposed to be able to save a scanned document to a given program, such as word.
However when i use the drop box for the " where do you want to send scanned images" scan to: - i get paint, printer, email,photosmart, or clipboard.
that is all the options i get?. Under file formats I dont have any RTF or others needed to have an editable text file.
I tried to scan documents and change file extensions, but just got computer code instead of a text document. confusing. Maybe this model does not have the capability.
02-23-2009 11:10 PM
I don't have your model but I have a lot more choices ofr scanning documents in HP Solution Center (however my HP Solution Center is not working any more with Vista). But when it did work when I had a computer with XP Pro I could scan to JPEG, (2 different) TIFF formats, RTF(Rich Text File), PDF (2 types), bitmap, PNG, PCX, Flashpix, HTML, and text file.
A couple of items. If you have the newest Word from Office 2007 you have to go to the Windows site and add an add on to be able to directly interact and create PDF documents from Word. It is an add-on feature that is not charged for on their web site. You may have the buttons in the Word program already in your software but they will not work without downloading the add-on program from Microsoft web site. This should get you PDF, XPS and maybe some other formats. For Adobe you also have to have a compatible version with Windows Vista (ie made AFTER Vista) in order to get the PDF format to show up.
I think your only hope is to get it to a Rich Text File and then resave it in Word document format. Good luck.
02-25-2009 12:40 AM
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- HP All-in-One and Fax Product Family - Interpreting Error Codes in Fax Communication Error or Fax History Reports
- HP Fax Products - Testing Your HP Fax Machine with the HP Fax Test Service
- HP All-in-One Products - A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax
- An 'An error occurred while communicating with scanning device' or a 'There is no computer connection' Message Displays When Scanning for HP Printers