Question

Top Student
matt74
Message 1 of 11 (3,118 Views)

hp officejet 4630 prints but won't scan

hello, i recently purchased an hp officejet 4630.  it prints without problem and will scan once without problem.  when i attempt another scan at a later time i get the message "The HP Officejet series 4630 was not found".  i then ran the hp print and scan doctor.  after it successfully connects with the device it attempts to fix the problem but gives me the message "The HP Officejet series 4630 was not found".  after i close the dialogue box it tells me i have an "HP Twain Scan Error" and to restart the printer, restart the computer of which i have done to no avail.   i have uninstalled and reinstalled the software 3 times.  each time i am able to scan once but each time i come back to do another scan i run into the same problem.  please let me know if there is a solution to this problem before i go completely insane.  here's my system info...

dell inspiron 1545

32 bit

windows vista home premium

thanks,

matt

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 2 of 11 (3,065 Views)

Re: hp officejet 4630 prints but won't scan

Hi Matt74

Thank you for the all the information. Twain is a driver that works your scan on your computer. All it is saying is that the "twain_32.dll" file on your machine is missing or corrupt. Simply replace the file to correct the problem

You can find the file by doing a Search for "twain_32" in my Computer and delete it. Here is a link to the driver.

http://www.dlldll.com/twain_32.dll_download.html

Then run the Print and Scan Doctor.

Here is a link to this.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/p...

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Student
wordbug
Message 3 of 11 (3,033 Views)

Ugh.  This is the same problem that I am having.  I did all of the above and it still does not work.  I am going in circles.

I am about to send my new printer to the bottom of a lake.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 4 of 11 (2,981 Views)

Hi wordbug

I understand you are also getting the Twain error.

I will be happy to assist you with this.

I would run a level 3 or 4 uninstall and reinstall the printer to get the HP twain drivers installed properly.

If you have the CD then go to start, computer, right click on the CD drive and select open. Open folder Util, CCC, run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe.

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system the type %temp% in the run field.
Open the 7z, (Example: 7zS2356) Util, CCC, run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP
computer run the L4uninstall.exe.

When the uninstall has completed restart the computer.

Run Disk cleanup from the start, all programs, accessories, system tools.

Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player.
Adobe Flash Player Support Center.

Download the full feature software and drivers. HP Troubleshooting. Select the operating system and click next. HP Officejet 4630 e-All-in-One Printer Drivers.

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
matt74
Message 5 of 11 (2,927 Views)

this didn't fix it, do you have another solution?

Top Student
matt74
Message 6 of 11 (2,818 Views)

i tried the solution offered by mrs stenter but it didn't work.  i'm still having the same problem.  also i did some research and found that it's never a good idea to download this type of file from a website.  another solution is very much welcomed as i'm getting tired of having to uninstall and re-install the software every time i want to scan something.

on another note, who do i contact for warranty issues?  if this can't be resolved i'd like to get my money back.  $100 is a lot to spend on a paper weight.

Top Student
matt74
Message 7 of 11 (2,815 Views)

I tried this solution as well but was unable to do the level 4 uninstall (i have a Dell).  The software was downloaded and extracted.

I ran %temp%

opened the 7z 

opened utils

the only options i have are

- x64 (File Folder)

- x84 (File Folder)

- HPInstallLogCollector (Application)

- hpUrlLauncher (Application)

I don't have CCC or the L3uninstall.exe or L4uninstall.exe, should I be looking eleswhere?

Thanks for any help

Top Student
matt74
Message 8 of 11 (2,765 Views)

ok, i figured out how to do a level 4 uninstall.  it was different from your directions but.  i did that and followed your remaining directions and i'm still having the same problem.  can someone please help me.  it's getting very tiresome having to uninstall and reinstall the software every time i want to scan something.  

Gemini02 wrote:

Hi wordbug

I understand you are also getting the Twain error.

I will be happy to assist you with this.

I would run a level 3 or 4 uninstall and reinstall the printer to get the HP twain drivers installed properly.

If you have the CD then go to start, computer, right click on the CD drive and select open. Open folder Util, CCC, run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe.

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system the type %temp% in the run field.
Open the 7z, (Example: 7zS2356) Util, CCC, run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP
computer run the L4uninstall.exe.

When the uninstall has completed restart the computer.

Run Disk cleanup from the start, all programs, accessories, system tools.

Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player.
Adobe Flash Player Support Center.

Download the full feature software and drivers. HP Troubleshooting. Select the operating system and click next. HP Officejet 4630 e-All-in-One Printer Drivers.

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Honor Student
PEBY
Message 9 of 11 (2,727 Views)

My company set me up with home office and this is the printer I got, same issue scans

one time next time not, my IT people can't even figure it out.  I have done everything above

and then some.  I found a work around to scan I open HP printer assistant chose scan a document or photo and scan to my documents file.  This works just takes longer then hitting scan on the actual printer.

HP should be doing something about this as it seems this is a big problem on this printer.

I would never buy an HP printer  for myself personally based on the problems with this one.

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 10 of 11 (2,658 Views)

Hi matt74,

The uninstall process listed is for our older printers with driver version 14.x and below.

TWAIN is the older standard for interfacing scanners with computers.

Are you trying to scan from the printer to the computer or are you trying to use the HP software to do the scan?

The current interface is WIA, which is a Microsoft standard.  Windows Vista has Windows Fax and Scan.  This program uses WIA and might work.

The twain files are stored in c:\windows\twain_32

If you are getting TWAIN errors, you might find deleting all of the contents of that folder before reinstalling can help. 

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation