Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Laser Jet M277DW
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I cannot get the printer to send a scan to a Gmail business email.  I get an error message telling me that the username and password are wrong, they are not.

I have used all permutations of smtp port, smtp-relay.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com and all three port numbers.  There is a similar issue setting up a Hotmail.co.uk email address.

Scanning works to an NTLworld account but I need to switch from this one due to spam issues with this address.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,
Some Gmail security options may block the printer from connecting to their servers.

First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are setting for the printer.
https://myaccount.google.com/

Within the Sign-in & security section click on Signing in to Google and ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off".

Within the left pane click on Connected apps & sites and ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is set as "ON", otherwise the verification will fail.

Be sure to use smtp.gmail.com with SSL Checked and port 465.

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,
Some Gmail security options may block the printer from connecting to their servers.

First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are setting for the printer.

Within the Sign-in & security section click on Signing in to Google and ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off".

Within the left pane click on Connected apps & sites and ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is set as "ON", otherwise the verification will fail.

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
HP Recommended

Thanks, your solution did work, but when I reset my Google account to prevent less secure apps accessing my account, I could not scan.  So, it would seem that the scan feature will not work through Google without compromising the security of my computer.  This is not good, and was not obvious when I purchased the printer.

If I'd known at the time it was incompatible with Google mail servers I would not have purchased the machine.  I will now take this up with the retail outlet where I bought the machine as it is essentially not doing what I purchaed it for, so infringes my rights as a consumer.

HP Recommended

I follwed the steps below...in addition I also created a NEW password for my email address simultaneously. After two attempts I finally got the scan to email function to work. I hope this is a universal solution.

.............................................................................................

Hi,

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.