01-13-2011 12:39 PM
I had the same problem but I found the answer on a C4580 query with the same problem and I downloaded from this link and did not have to un-install before hand.
08-07-2011 04:24 AM
Thank Pr2000, you actually save my job. Thanks a million. Looking forward to more solutions. Will like to know you more better. Thanks once again.
I too have a Photosmart C309g-m printer and here's how I got the OCR software to work on my computer with Windows 7 (64-bit). But the steps below, which are generic, probably will work on XP, Vista as well.
1. Download the OCR software -mentioned in the previous post and available at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloa
Note - Windows 7 is not listed here. But the fact that it works for Vista, there is a good chance it will work for Windows 7.
2. Launch a DOS/Command/Shell prompt and type “set”. Locate the values for “Temp” and “Tmp”. This will give you your temporary directory locations.
3. Launch the installer executable from #1. The installer will extract all the setup files into the temporary directory (from step 2) followed by an error message – “This update does not support any of the HP device …”. DO NOT dismiss this error by clicking on the OK button.
4. While the error message still on, launch windows explorer and go to the temporary directory. Locate the directory where the installer extracted the setup files. This can be done in few ways.
a. I had it in a directory called “7zS6245” and this was easy to spot as I cleaned up my entire temporary directory before step 3.
b. You can sort the contents by date/time and look at the latest created directory.
5. Within this funky named directory, you will notice a directory called “ocr_web_pack”. Copy this entire directory to a different location – e.g. your desktop.
6. Now dismiss the error message from step 3. You will notice all the setup files extracted in step 3 are deleted from the temporary directory. Hence we held off this step.
7. Viola! You now have the OCR software to launch as a standalone piece. Just double click the setup.exe located in the “ocr_web_pack” directory and hopefully you will no longer get any additional error messages.
Note – If you still have problems after following the above steps, you may want to first uninstall all previous Photosmart printer software. Then install the OCR software (only step 7 needed now) followed by the Photosmart printer software.
01-07-2014 03:26 PM
Credit goes out to Forum Posters pr2000 & les50 for their instructions and links that helped me get OCR to work with my C4580 and my Windows 8.1 PC . I typed up some crip notes for my setup using their write-ups and I'm sharing these notes here.
Topic: Missing OCR for Photosmart C4580
I have a Photosmart C4580 All-in-One printer/scanner/copier and here's how I got the OCR software to work on my computer with Windows 8.1 (64-bit).
The steps below, which are generic, will probably work on other more recent versions of Windows (e. g. - XP, Vista, 7 & 8).
Download the OCR software from HP for the version of PhotoSmart installed on your PC:
PhotoSmart version 12 OCR software is:
Download from here:
PhotoSmart version 14 OCR software is:
Download from here:
To find the installed version of PhotoSmart:
Open “HP Solution Center” and note the version number near the bottom of the ‘Splash Screen’ that briefly appears when “HP Solution Center” starts up.
(e. g. - 126.96.36.199 indicates (from the first two digits) version 14).
Launch a Command prompt window and type “set”.
Locate the paths for “Temp” and “Tmp”.
This will give you the temporary folder locations.
Clean out as many files/folders as allowed in these folder(s).
Launch the installer executable from Step 1.
The installer will extract all the setup files into the temporary folder (from step 2) followed by an error message – “This update does not support any of the HP device …”.
DO NOT dismiss this error by clicking on the OK button.
While the error message is still on, launch windows/file explorer and open the temporary folder located in Step 2.
In this temporary folder locate the folder where the installer extracted the setup files.
On my PC the setup files were in C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp.
In this Temp folder, locate “setup.exe”.
Run “setup.exe” to start the installer for the I.R.I.S OCR software. You will see a series of screens indicating the OCR software is being installed. Choose any selections to proceed through the steps in the installer screens.
Now dismiss the error message from step 3. You will notice all the setup files extracted in step 3 are deleted from the temporary directory when you close the error message. This scheme is a ‘workaround’ that allows the install of the OCR software in Step 5 before the temporary setup files are deleted.
You now have the OCR software merged with HP’s Solution Center as part of the ‘Scan Document’ operation - i. e. When ‘Scan Document’ is invoked, the next screen will list a new selection in the Scan Shortcut pane titled: “Text (OCR) to RTF file”.
If you still have problems after following the above steps, uninstall all previous Photosmart printer software. Then install the OCR software followed by the Photosmart printer software.