Question

Student
rademaker
Message 1 of 7 (3,190 Views)
Accepted Solution

my hp photosmart plus printer will not scan. i reinstalled printer & sftwre and it still won't

I reinstalled printer and software and it still won't scan.  I then go to Windows fax and scan and that will not work either. 

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 7 (3,150 Views)

Re: my hp photosmart plus printer will not scan. i reinstalled printer & sftwre and it still wo

[ Edited ]

Hi rademaker,

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Student
gfproud141
Message 3 of 7 (2,623 Views)

Re: my hp photosmart plus printer will not scan. i reinstalled printer & sftwre and it still wo

[ Edited ]

Get sound of scanning but no scan. Gets as far as "Preparing to scan" and ends.

I have reloaded the latest software twice.  I get a message "Document feeder jan" on the printer . But there is no jam . . . paper comes through when I print from the computer.

{personal info removed}

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 7 (2,620 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi gfproud141, 

What printer do you have?

What is the operating system on your computer?

How do you have the printer connected to the computer?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Student
tampopo
Message 5 of 7 (2,397 Views)

This does not support Mac OSX. Is there a Print and Scan Doctor for macs?
Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 7 (2,385 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi tampopo, 

Follow these steps for a computer running Mac OS X.

+ Network connection

Follow these steps to troubleshoot scan connection issues on a wireless network.

NOTE: Some of the following solutions require you to restart the computer. Consider bookmarking this page on your Web browser, so that you can reference it after restarting the computer.

Solution one: Make sure no other networked users are currently using the scanner

NOTE: If there are no other users on your network, skip to the next solution.

Step one: Check to see if other users are using the scanner

Check with other users on your network to see if they are currently using the scanner. If so, wait until they are finished and have closed the scanning session.

Step two: Try the scan again

Try scanning the document again.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Solution two: Check the Scan to Computer setting 

The Scan to Computer setting is enabled when you install the printer software. If you cannot scan to the computer after installing the software, follow these steps to make sure that the Scan to Computer setting is enabled in the software.

Step one: Check the Scan to Computer setting

Follow these steps to check the Scan to Computer setting.

1. On the main menu, click the Apple icon (), and then click System Preferences.
  2. Click Print & Fax.
  3. Under Printers, click your printer, if you see more than one printer.
  4. Click Open Print Queue. The print queue for your printer opens.
  5. Click Printer Setup or Settings. A new window opens.
  6. Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility. The HP Utility window opens.
  7. Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer.
  8. At the top of the screen, click the check box next to Enable Scan to Computer, if it is not already checked. Scan to Computer is enabled.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

Solution three: Repair Disk Permissions

Follow these steps to repair Disk Permissions.

Step one: Repair Disk Permissions

1. On the menu bar, click GO, and then click Utilities.
  2. From the sub menu on the right, double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Click to select your drive or active partition from the list on the left.
  4. Click the First Aid tab, if it is not already selected.
  5. Click Repair Disk Permissions.
  6. Restart your computer.

Solution four: Uninstall and then reinstall the printer software

Follow these steps to uninstall and then reinstall the printer software.

Step one: Uninstall the printer software

Choose the method you originally used to install the printer software, and then follow the steps to remove the print driver and other software from your computer.

• + I used the CD to install the product software, or I downloaded and installed the Full Feature software from HP.com

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD, and then click Applications.
  2. Click the Hewlett-Packard folder.
  3. Double-click the HP Uninstaller, and then click Continue.
  4. Select the product to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password, and then click OK.
  6. From the Macintosh HD menu, click Users.
  7. Click the correct user name.
  8. Click Library.
  9. Click Preferences.

10. Click and hold the cursor on the first file that starts with "HP," and then drag the file to the Trash icon on the taskbar. Complete this step for each file that starts with "HP."

11. Close out of Preferences.

12. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

NOTE: By clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.

• + I used Apple Software Updates to install the product software

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD icon.
  2. Double-click the Library folder.
  3. Double-click the Printers folder.
  4. Right-click the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  6. Double-click the PPDs folder.
  7. Double-click the Contents folder.
  8. Double-click the Resources folder.
  9. Find you product in the product list, and then right-click on your product and select Move to Trash.

10. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.

11. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

NOTE: By clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.

12. On the upper-left corner of the computer desktop, click the Apple menu icon (), and then click System Preferences on the drop-down menu.

13. Click Print & Fax.

14. In the Printers list, click your HP product, and then click the Minus button () to delete it.

Step two: Reset Printing System

What does Reset Printing System do?

• Deletes all queues and jobs.
  • Resets all printer settings to their default by deleting configuration files.
  • Performs a permissions check on the /tmp directory.

Any printers, scanners, or fax modems that previously appeared in System Preferences will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x

To use the Reset Printing System function in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x, follow these steps:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu. If you have a mouse you can right click in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system

Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion & Mountain Lion

To use the Reset Printing System function in Lion, follow these steps:

2. Choose Print & Scan from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu. . If you have a mouse you can right click in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system

Step three: Reinstall the printer software

Click #NEW#HP Software and Drivers#NEW# to download the latest software from the HP website.

Important: To enable full scan function, you must select the Recommended Install option on the Installation Options screen. Repeat these steps to install the software on each computer that uses the printer wirelessly over the same network.

NOTE: If you partitioned your hard drive, you must install the driver on the same partition as the operating system.

Step four: Try the scan again

+ USB connection

Follow these steps to troubleshoot scan connection issues when the printer connects to the computer with a USB cable.

Solution one: Check connectivity

Follow these steps to make sure that the printer is properly connected to your computer.

Step one: Check the USB cable

Follow these steps to check the USB cable.

1. Turn on the computer.
  2. Check the USB cable in the following ways:
  • Make sure that the USB cable is connected to the computer and to the printer.
  • Make sure that the USB cable is no more than 3 m (10 ft) long. Replace the cable if necessary.
  • Make sure that the USB cable is working correctly by connecting it to another printer. Connect the cable to another USB port on the computer. If necessary, replace the cable.
  • If you use a USB hub or a USB docking station, it may be defective. Try connecting the USB cable directly to the computer.

Step two: Make sure that the computer detects the printer correctly

Follow these steps to make sure that the computer detects the printer correctly.

2. From the sub menu on the right, double-click System Profiler.
  3. On the left navigation pane, under Hardware, click USB.
  4. Look under the USB Device Tree for your printer name.
  • If your printer is listed, continue to the next step.
  • If your printer is not listed, continue troubleshooting the USB cable.

NOTE: If the cable is working, and you have tried multiple USB ports on the computer, connect the printer wirelessly.

Step three: Try the scan again

Solution two: Check the Scan to Computer setting

Follow these steps to check the Scan to Computer setting.

Step one: Check the Scan to Computer setting

1. On the main menu, click the Apple icon (), and then click System Preferences.
  2. Click Print & Fax.
  3. Under Printers, click your printer, if you see more than one printer.
  4. Click Open Print Queue. The print queue for your printer opens.
  5. Click Printer Setup or Settings. A new window opens.
  6. Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility. The HP Utility window opens.
  7. Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer.
  8. At the top of the screen, click the check box next to Enable Scan to Computer, if it is not already checked. Scan to Computer is enabled.

Solution three: Repair Disk Permissions

Follow these steps to repair Disk Permissions.

Step one: Repair Disk Permissions

2. From the sub menu on the right, double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Click to select your drive or active partition from the list on the left.
  4. Click the First Aid tab, if it is not already selected.
  5. Click Repair Disk Permissions.
  6. Restart your computer.

Solution four: Uninstall and then reinstall the printer software

Follow these steps to uninstall and then reinstall the printer software.

Step one: Uninstall the printer software

Choose the method you originally used to install the printer software, and then follow the steps to remove the print driver and other software from your computer.

• + I used the CD to install the product software, or I downloaded and installed the Full Feature software from HP.com

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD, and then click Applications.
  2. Click the Hewlett-Packard folder.
  3. Double-click the HP Uninstaller, and then click Continue.
  4. Select the product to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password, and then click OK.
  6. From the Macintosh HD menu, click Users.
  7. Click the correct user name.
  8. Click Library.
  9. Click Preferences.

10. Click and hold the cursor on the first file that starts with "HP," and then drag the file to the Trash icon on the taskbar. Complete this step for each file that starts with "HP."

11. Close out of Preferences.

12. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

• + I used Apple Software Updates to install the product software

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD icon.
  2. Double-click the Library folder.
  3. Double-click the Printers folder.
  4. Right-click the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  6. Double-click the PPDs folder.
  7. Double-click the Contents folder.
  8. Double-click the Resources folder.
  9. Find you product in the product list, and then right-click on your product and select Move to Trash.

10. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.

11. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

12. On the upper-left corner of the computer desktop, click the Apple menu icon (), and then click System Preferences on the drop-down menu.

13. Click Print & Fax.

14. In the Printers list, click your HP product, and then click the Minus button () to delete it.

Step two: Reset Printing System What does Reset Printing System do?

• Deletes all queues and jobs.
  • Resets all printer settings to their default by deleting configuration files.
  • Performs a permissions check on the /tmp directory.

Any printers, scanners, or fax modems that previously appeared in System Preferences will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x

To use the Reset Printing System function in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x, follow these steps:

2. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu. If you have a mouse you can right click in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system

Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion & Mountain Lion

To use the Reset Printing System function in Lion, follow these steps:

2. Choose Print & Scan from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu. . If you have a mouse you can right click in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system

Step three: Reinstall the printer software

Click #NEW#HP Software and Drivers#NEW# to download the latest software from the HP website.

Important: To enable full scan function, you must select the Recommended Install option on the Installation Options screen.

NOTE: If you partitioned your hard drive, you must install the driver on the same partition as the operating system.

Step four: Try the scan again

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
EdYoung
Message 7 of 7 (1,678 Views)

DDarrel youngMy hp photosmart premium c10 seies will not scan a document/.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation