my hp8600 is leaving black lines when i copy or scan with document feeder (2902 Views)
Student
AceG23
Message 1 of 9 (2,902 Views)

my hp8600 is leaving black lines when i copy or scan with document feeder

When I open the top of the document feeder there is this little green plastic piece in the center of it. On each side of the green piece is a metal spring enclosed in plastic casing. The black lines line up exactly on each side of each spring. If they are dirty how do i dismantle and clean feeder. Can someone please help me. Im at work and need to scan desperately. Thanks

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 2 of 9 (2,901 Views)

Re: my hp8600 is leaving black lines when i copy or scan with document feeder

There might be debris in the scaning path. Try the document I linked below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02881567

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Professor
Charles001
Message 3 of 9 (2,894 Views)

Are the black lines on the scanned or copied document only, not effecting the original? If the original document is OK, then it's unlikely caused by the green piece of spring. Usually the lines are there due to dirt or scratch marks on the glass or even further, the scanner don't see the feeder parts.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
F-B Honor Student
Honor Student
F-B
Message 4 of 9 (2,886 Views)

I am having the same problem with a HP Photosmart C5550. A vertical line about a half inch wide appears on the right side of the paper when copying or scanning. I have tried disconnecting every thing and cleaning the glass and the backing on the lid -.- to no avail. I was somewhat successful in reducing the size of the line by using the cropping facility. Previously I had to remove a double size black HP ink cartridge after it was about half used up. The machine said it did not recognize the cartridge for printing or copying purposes after months of use. BTW, no line appears when I am simply printing from the computer. Any help appreciated.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 5 of 9 (2,866 Views)

Hi F-B ,

Do you only see this black line when using the automatic document feeder? Have you tried using the scan bed? This is just to verify if the issue exists for both scanning methods.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Student
larsto
Message 6 of 9 (1,362 Views)

My 8600 is leaving vertical lines when I fax using document feeder.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 7 of 9 (1,355 Views)

@larsto, are you having this issue when you make a copy from the ADF?

Please try a hard reset with the printer. 

Hard Reset: 

Unplug the power cord from the printer and wall 

Wait 30 sec

Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall (Make sure the printer is plugged into the wall and not a surge protector) 

Let me know the outcome.

Also, remember if you find this post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
Honor Student
Message 8 of 9 (92 Views)

HP 8600 plus leaves a thin black line on copy from document feeder, not from the glass. Tried cleaning, rebooting, plugging directly into wall outlet and cursing. Any other suggestions or should I just return the machine.

Honor Student
Message 9 of 9 (91 Views)

did not work
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation